Question about seeds.

BlueRose

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I was wondering if you absolutely have to let seeds dry before you plant them? My dad bought some really sweet cherry tomatoes at the store and right now I'm planting. I was wondering if I could plant a seed directly from the tomato or if they have to dry first?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There's a story about enzymes, seed casings and drying periods I could tell here but I won't.

Instead, what I will say is this:

Yes, especially for tomatoes, I would recommend a good drying after one processes the seeds (through fermentation) to reduce the likelihood of disease. At minimum you could dry for about 1 month or so.

Another note, the sweet cherry tomatoes from the store may be hybrids which will not produce true to the product you're eating now.

Carlos

BlueRose

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I found out that I could try by putting some in a wet paper towel in a ziploc and let them sit in the sun for about five days. Do you think that might work? And thank you for your answer!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think this would make them sprout. This will work essentially for doing that.

You may have some weaker seedlings but overall should be ok. Hope they breed true for you, I'd hate for you to get something you're not bargaining for from a hybrid seed.

Carlos

BlueRose

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
If they are hybrids, and they grow good for me. What do you think they would taste like maybe? Average cherry tomatoes? I'm going to try with about six seeds, and if nothing happens oh well. I'm planting other things too.

BlueRose

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
:welcome, BlueRose!! Love your sig! ;) So...do you OWN a blue rose? :/
Thank you! That's funny that you mentioned liking my signature, because I was going to PM you saying I liked yours too. And no, I don't have a blue rose. Blue is my favorite color and roses are my favorite flower.

As for the tomatoes, you're right OaklandCityFarmer. I'll just wait and see.

allenlighthouse

Leafing Out
Reaction score
my cherry tomatoes sometimes fall to the ground , over ripe and within weeks i have many plants where the tom fell hope that helps you

mandieg4

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
allenlighthouse said:
my cherry tomatoes sometimes fall to the ground , over ripe and within weeks i have many plants where the tom fell hope that helps you
I was going to say the same thing. I always have volunteers come up in my compost. Obviously my compost doesn't get very hot, but I'm surprised if it gets very dry.

Latest posts