Question about weed killing plastic.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I got a roll of heavy duty plastic to kill off the weeds in part of my garden. My question is, have you had better results with the ground wet or dry before putting it down?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good question. I have pondered the same, needing to solarize my raised beds soon. If I water, it should create condensation on the plastic and I've wondered if maybe that would magnify the sun's rays. Still not sure about that, but have read that a deep watering can help germinate those weed seeds, then the clear plastic covering can trap heat to easily fry them. It's the tough, mature grasses like nutsedge I hope it will work on, hopefully getting at the roots they run from.

I need to do some searching on Google and find out if common bean mosaic virus will be killed off by solarization, as I may have found that taking hold in my garden. :(

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Would think dry would kill weeds off faster but wet would kill off live and cause some seeds to germinate. Thus you will do a better job sterilizing soil when wet but will take longer time.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I already have cardboard on part of it but the weeds find their way between the layers.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
have the same problem in the pea/ melon bed. chickweed has taken over and has gone to seed..
does the color of the plastic matter black or clear?

Latest posts