Question about weed killing plastic.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOL, I've been told clear is better. Traps more sunlight. Maybe google for a consensus on that...

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Black is definitely better. It blocks a lot of the sunlight and gets hotter underneath.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I'll tell you what Does work--rubber mats. If somebody has some old exercise mats that they don't want anymore--the kind that weigh nothing and jigsaw puzzle together--you'll kill anything underneath them. I'm not sure that the plastic really works to kill anything.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll tell you what Does work--rubber mats. If somebody has some old exercise mats that they don't want anymore--the kind that weigh nothing and jigsaw puzzle together--you'll kill anything underneath them. I'm not sure that the plastic really works to kill anything.

My husband got some scrapped pieces of rubber coal conveyor belt free from the plant. I drag a couple of those around to kill weeds. They get really hot when the sun shines on them and they're heavy.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
now here is a hypothetical question . since the summer is on it's way out and fall is around the corner. yes we have 70's till about mid October and would like to kill off chickweed before next year.

just the gears rolling in the head.... would it not be better to use clear plastic so the seeds do germinate, once they do remove the plastic and spray them, once dead till the soil and cover it back so any seeds buried in the soil will germinate and repeat as needed.?

what do you think?

this is what i am dealing with......... the chickweed has gotten out of hand this summer
DSC_0005.JPG