Question for Seattle gardeners

bigdreams

Sprout
Reaction score
Ok, I have many tomato plants started in the back room, will it slow their growth if I put them in cold frames outside now? I am running out of room, fast! thanks so much...

Ok, no answers? So maybe if I give more info it won't matter where you live :) The night time temps are staying above freezing for the most part so in the cold frame it will not freeze them, but the day time temps are still in the upper 30s to mid 40s I think. So will that help someone to let me know? I just don't want to put them out if it is going to really slow them down but I do need to do something :) Thank you

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey, bigdreams, I only just happened to find your thread by doing a search for similar terms.

I hear we are about a month behind on spring this year. I hope you took advantage of the few warm days we had and let your tomatoes outside to play. ;) BUT it is going to get cold again, so I recommend you bring them back inside when it is under 40 degrees. I was looking to see if anyone knows a more precise limit on how cold tomatoes can go without problems, but that was the best answer I could find. I would think in a protected spot they could take it colder, but I don't know and don't want to experiment that bad. :p

bigdreams

Sprout
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply I just now saw it! I didn't think anyone was ever going to answer so I kinda dissappeared for awhile. I did put the tomatos out on nice days and brought them in for the night time. They are looking kinda sad so I am going to go ahead and plant them in the garden today and cover with plastic, I just have to do something. :)

Latest posts