Question on corn.

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, silly me. I planted two different areas of corn. Both before I started reading here on TEG. That is when I read that corn should not be planted in long rows. :barnie

Well I planted one block of corn in a raised bed and about 15 feet away I had some extra space and I planted two long rows. The long rows are about 1 1/2 to two feet apart. I read that I could try pollinating it myself but how does one go about this exactly? The corn is only about 2 feet high right. Just want to be prepared.

:rainbow-sun

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wait until the corn tassels out completely and the silks are exposed. Tap the tassels and if you see pollen come off then they're ready.

I usually break of a couple of pieces from the tassels and then brush them against the silks. It's really easy. Using a few different pieces from several different plants ensures that you have good cross-pollination.

Good luck!

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So I only pull off pieces form the end, not the whole ear of corn?:idunno

Edited to say: I am really clueless when it comes to corn. The tassel is the thing that develops out of the top of the plant or the end of each corn with the hair on it?

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Nubsmum said:
The tassel is the thing that develops out of the top of the plant or the end of each corn with the hair on it?
The tassel is the part that develops at the top of the plant. The silks are the hairy parts that stick out of the corn itself.

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks Backyard buddies. I am sorta corn impaired. :rainbow-sun

Latest posts