Question on summer squash

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi, we have had very cool weather here in Oregon so my plants are smaller than normal. My Eight Ball Zucchini and my Patty pan plants are about 18 all around and the leaves about 5 inches across. The plants have started blooming and I have both male and female flowers.

My questions are: since the plants are on the small side should I pick off the flowers for now to encourage larger plant growth or should I just leave them alone to do their thing? I usually dont pick off the flowers but again these plants are smaller than I have had in the past and I think it is due to our cold May and June. Thanks so much!!

:dance

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Luckily Eight Ball and Patty Pan are an early and "smaller" variety of squash. I really don't think that's true because they still grow big plants, although Patty is a bit smaller. That being said I would think it would be okay for you to leave the flowers.

However, if you are still experiencing lots of rain, you may have to worry about blossom end rot and powdery mildew. You may want to spray your plants with a solution of cows milk and water, about 6 parts milk to 1 part water. This helps prevent powdery mildew. Or, you can spray them with 1 teaspoon of baking soda in 1 quart of water, this also helps prevent powdery mildew because it offsets the pH of the plant.

Good luck!

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks so much. I have grown other squash before but these are two new varieties for me. Can't wait until they are in the pan!!

Thanks also for the tip on the spray. I will get on that one right away! Can I use this formula for all squash, winter and summer?

Thanks again!:weee

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nubsmum said:
Thanks so much. I have grown other squash before but these are two new varieties for me. Can't wait until they are in the pan!!

Thanks also for the tip on the spray. I will get on that one right away! Can I use this formula for all squash, winter and summer?

Thanks again!:weee
I use it on all cucurbits, so yes, I'm sure you can. That reminds me, I need to go spray my pumpkins.

Latest posts