Questions about Tropical milkweed

bayouchica

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm a milkweed newbie,lol.
Is it going to go to seed the first year? I planted some in April & it's grown pretty tall,flowers pretty regular.. but no seed pods.
I'm in northeast Louisiana zone 8, if that helps.

I have been battling yellow aphids on & off.. but it's finally starting to cool off here,so there're not so much a problem. But our weather is wacky here, it may warm up again this week.

Will it come back from the roots ? Can I take some cuttings & bring them inside ?

I really,really want to have some out for the monarchs spring.They start showing up in early April.

thanks,Miriam

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gee, you and I are in different worlds. In zone 4, ours have made pods and sent silks flying. I assume they will come back from the roots, as well as seeding themselves. Ours get pods late in the summer- maybe with your weather, it will take another month? Someone will chime in from warmer climates!

bayouchica

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
thanks Lesa,

you never can tell with the weather around here,lol. Yesterday it was in the 70's sunny,today it's like winter crept up on us.. 50's & cloudy

We really don't have real cold weather until January & February.But surely not as cold as yall are up there.

I may at least try some cuttings,hopefully I won't kill them.

Warthog

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yep mine had already seeded.

I tend to just let it see wherever it wants and pull what I don't want.

I can't say I have ever noticed it grow back from the roots, but then again I haven't really looked.

I have so much of it, it's a nuisance, wish I could give you some. :gig

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
In our area and probably yours also it grows and flowers year round. I don't know why yours isn't producing seed. Mine make so many pods I have to pick most of them off. It's quite easy to root. I doubt you'll have trouble with cuttings. If the milky sap dries on the end before you put it in the rooting medium trim it just a bit with a sharp knife, The tubes have to be open to take up moisture.

Latest posts