Questions on Holly Hocks

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ive been planting holly hocks for several years. The ones I planted two years ago bloomed last year. Now I see abundant green leaves on them again this year, their 3rd year, when i thought that they were suppose to die and not return this year at all. Are they going to bloom again or should I just dig them up and toss them?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are supposed to be biennial, but I have had many over the years that lasted longer than that. As long as they look healthy and vigorous, I would leave them to bloom again.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are a perennial. but short lived or so I read, but I have some that are 3 years old or more. I can't tell because I have so many and they reseed. I have some that I planted in the spring and they do not bloom until the next year and then I have a variety that if I plant this spring they will bloom this spring. If it has green leaves it is alive and will bloom. I just looked at some pictures and I have one that was planted in 2009 and has been there every year. I will have to check in the morning to see if it is coming back this year. I just looked on line and maybe they are not perennial, but just reseeding, but this plant looks older and bigger, not like the seedlings I find and transplant.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Like some other big biennials, hollyhocks grow stolons. Sometimes we call these "suckers." They are smaller plants that may surround the larger parent.

First attached, they take on a separate life of their own.

Foxglove and Canterbury Bells also do this.

Steve

Latest posts