Quick heat question!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Could a 250watt heat bulb heat an enclosed plastic greenhouse to 55 when outdoor temps are 25-35?

I got ducklings using the outlet in the shed, so can't plug in the electric heater to it as well. It'll blow, house needs rewiring...

Trying to find an alternative. I want to move the plants outside, but I need the temps in the GH to stay at 55 or so.

GH is 6x8, peaked roof to 8ft. I could use plastic to close off the peaked roof to make it flat at about 6ft. Floor is covered in plastic, basically sealing it up.

Is this futile? Don't really want to bring the ducks into the house, kitten will eat them and DH will flip over the mess and stink they make...

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
A 250 watt heat lamp throws off a lot of heat, but there are other considerations. A windy night will draw off more of the heat. The distance the lamp is set above the plants is another consideration. Of course, heat will rise. And cold air will draft in to fill the vacuum if it can.

My suggestion, since I've never done it myself, is to give it a try for a couple of nights with a high/low thermometer. There is a good chance it would work if night temperatures don't drop any lower.

Also, you could add some thermal mass -- water or rocks that would radiate heat from your lamp -- that might make a difference. Then all you would have to worry about is a burned-out bulb or a power outage.

Latest posts