Rain Barrel Watering System: You download a How-To

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was asked to flesh out the details for a post I did a while back, and you can download a guide the various components from my gardening blog Green Universe

This isn't really an instruction sheet, just detailed photos of the various parts and how they go together.

It's a Word doc.

5374_set_up_view.jpg

Enjoy!

:cool:

~Phyllis

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks, I am putting DH to work this weekend on ours.Great site. Thanks again

ccrecelius

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Wonderful!!!!!

I do have a question though. Do you think that you could put some kind of (I already know I am going to misspell this word) submergable heater in the tank(s)? I was thinking of using this system to water my chickens.

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I don't see why not. We do that in the winter for our horses. We put a heater in the trough to keep it from freezing.

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ccrecelius said:
Wonderful!!!!!

I do have a question though. Do you think that you could put some kind of (I already know I am going to misspell this word) submergable heater in the tank(s)? I was thinking of using this system to water my chickens.
Well, I really can't offer any advice on that because Im not an electrician so I have no idea what would be needed to do that type of set up safely. However, I can add that barrels of this type are sealed at the top (there is no lid) so youd need to figure out a way to get into them.

I personally wouldnt give my chickens the water that we collectfrom our roof: it's not treated in any way and who knows what might be dissolved in the water. The company that sells our barrels takes pains to tell people that water collected in this manner is not really meant for human or animal consumption.

:)
~Phyllis

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The water we have the heater in in the winter time is not collected from the roof. If you choose to use rain water you should find another way to collect it than from the roof. I might suggest setting a tub or barrel out away from the building with a mosquito screen over top.Believe me you can collect rain that way as well. That way in the winter you could put your heater in the tub after the mosquitoes are gone. You wouldn't need one in the summer.

mmtillman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
coopy said:
Thanks, I am putting DH to work this weekend on ours.Great site. Thanks again
:frow I am really interested in setting up a water barrel system with several barrels....so when you do get your system set up I hope you will post pictures?? Cant wait to get some ideas ...we are new at this !! :idunno

Latest posts