Rain vs. Garlic!!! - I did it! Pics

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I want to/ need to harvest my garlic, but it will not stop RAINING!!!! Or rather pouring.

Should I wait until it stops raining and take it out then or just harvest it and try to dry it out?

tinychicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
As you probably know, garlic should not be watered for about the month before harvest. So much for the perfect world!

If you garlic is ready to pull and it's raining, you have nothing to gain by waiting. I would pull before it all splits because then its storage qualities are just about worthless.

Pull and let it dry with as much air circulation as possible.

Sorry for tha bad timing. Guess we all run into that from time to time.

Good luck with it!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Living where I do there have been many years I have had to pull my garden during rain ..but as directed above just find a dry spot to hang it and you will be fine

but for sure get it out of the ground now or it will split or rot or both

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
yeah, I think you'd better harvest it ASAP and then just hang it somewhere under cover, preferably with some breeze, to dry out.

Pat, who has been meaning to harvest her OWN garlic for several days now and you know what, I'm going to round up the kids and go out and DO IT now, thank you for lighting a fire under my butt :) [edited to add: we did it! About 50 garlic plants are now hanging under the eaves out by the chicken building. Thank you! :)]

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
yeah, I think you'd better harvest it ASAP and then just hang it somewhere under cover, preferably with some breeze, to dry out.

Pat, who has been meaning to harvest her OWN garlic for several days now and you know what, I'm going to round up the kids and go out and DO IT now, thank you for lighting a fire under my butt :) [edited to add: we did it! About 50 garlic plants are now hanging under the eaves out by the chicken building. Thank you! :)]
Congrats Pat! Yay for garlic!

The rain stopped, but now the humidity is at 100%!!! I have a 2 season screened in porch, can I hang the garlic in there even though it is super humid? Or should I hang it in my basement (with a dehumidifier running 24/7 it's at 40% humidity)?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'd say basement if it's normal 'living space' temperature, but if it's real cool in there I'd be tempted to put it outside but run a fan at it 24/7. Even in the basement a fan might not be a bad idea. And bundle it in small bundles rather than larger ones, so the heads are not as crowded together and can dry more easily and fungus less.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I did it! They ended up in the porch, because a lot of dirt is still stuck to them and they........um smell. :rolleyes:

3744379641_3571014518.jpg

3744379125_e8b613a015.jpg

I'm kind of proud of this garlic drier I made out of junk.
The porch has a ceiling fan.

3745171154_66ac1059d9.jpg

3745170810_1a3b9b4ce9.jpg

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Catalina your garlic and your drier look awesome :thumbsup Good job
:rainbow-sun

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh that is so awesome for something you just 'threw' together from 'junk'. You should be so proud! Definitely keep it for Onions and stuff too.

did you braid the garlic tops together to use like hanging rope?