Raised Bed Book

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I figure mine only have to last 10 to 12 years. Based on family history I probably won't be in physical condition to do much beyond that. I figure treated wood will probably last long enough.
Build EXACTLY what you want. It would be a shame to build it to last 10 years and you live for 11-15...... ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
How well do the veggies Chan talks about fit the more regular veggies we grow or is it limited in that respect?
I have been trying to find my copy. Can't! Seem to have looked in all the obvious locations.

No, it is about soil preparation, intercropping and other intensive gardening techniques.

There may have been some information on crop choices but what I remember about that is zilch. I don't believe that I have Peter Chan to thank for my introduction to Asian vegetables; that goes back to eating at Chinese restaurants from childhood and being curious. Also, to years subscribing to Organic Gardening magazine.

Ray Wolf wrote an article about French Intensive gardening in one edition. I still have that, dated February, 1976. I also see that he had a book on this subject. February of 76, you may remember that was the month that Dorothy Hamill won a gold medal at the Winter Olympics ;).

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
How does this help Ridge with his raised bed question? :lol::lol::lol:

Mary

I commented I'm expecting to only need these for about 10 to 12 years based on family history (father and grandfathers. mother and grandmothers) so I'm going with treated wood frames, not something longer lasting like rocks. It's not that I expect to be dead, I don't expect to be able to manage much out there.

I remember the stories where Dad would go outside to pull weeds. He's sit down and could manage to stand back up. But if he lost his balance and fell over Mom would have to go out and help get him back into a sitting position. I don't expect to totally stop, I just don't expect to need much to work with.

I don't think Alex knows how old I am. I've given a few hints through my years in here but I try to not give out too much personal information. I do gripe about things occasionally. He's just trying to encourage me to not be morbid and plan my own obsolescence.

Latest posts