Raised bed Owners, What to do about grass?

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How did you get rid of the grass around your beds? I dug up the grass under my beds but not around and now the grass is starting to creep in. Should I kill the grass around with like round up? I was thinking that I would just cover it with like pine needle mulch but I don't think it will go away I think the grass will look for a way to the surface. Ok thanks

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I used a weed wacker (eater) really close to the ground. Around my beds I am laying landscapers fabric and dumping pea gravel to walk on with random flag stone thrown down. I'm trying to keep from using any kind of chemicals.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Grass will creep in no matter what kind of beds you have. Basically, you just have to go round periodically and remove it by hand. It is not a big deal. Herbicides are IMO totally inappropriate for this; mulch is (as you say) not really sufficient.

One thing that helps a good bit (tho it can be disadvantageous if you are doing a no-watering garden in dry weather) is to keep your beds well edged. Yes, even raised beds lined with boards or whatever - edge *around* them, 6" or so back from the material that holds up the beds.

To edge, cut a straight vertical line along the turf about 6" from where the bed's "real" edge is, then manually remove that strip of grass between your cut and the bed. With acceptibly decent soil that is not bone-dry, this is pretty easy, the grass just pulls off and you shake off any clinging dirt. Leave the resulting sort of trench there, and it will greatly slow the return of grass into the bed edges. Some people can do this just once a year, some may have to do it twice or even three times a year, depends on your soil, grass type, personal standards, etc. But it works a LOT better than having the grass come right up to the bed.

(e.t.a. - I do it by cutting the line with a square shovel, all along where I want it, then going back on hands and knees with a linoleum knife to help me encourage up the strip of turf to be removed. I toss it to the chickens; eventually when I shovel the run out it goes into the compost, by which time it is not grass anymore <g>)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As Pat says, you have to edge around them. I mowed around seven beds for 28 years, it's not fun, but the grass made it look nice. Now I've got landscape fabric and pea gravel between them, which is much easier to deal with, but, of course, I moved the whole shebang out back and started fresh, with no grass to remove to begin with! It's still a work in progress.

paths.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
As Pat says, you have to edge around them. I mowed around seven beds for 28 years, it's not fun, but the grass made it look nice. Now I've got landscape fabric and pea gravel between them, which is much easier to deal with, but, of course, I moved the whole shebang out back and started fresh, with no grass to remove to begin with! It's still a work in progress.

http://annzoid.com/Gardens/paths.jpg
Wow... that is SWEET!!!! LOVE IT!

Glad I decided to go with the pea gravel in walk spaced... its all fenced in... so no mower can get in.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Reinbeau said:

http://annzoid.com/Gardens/paths.jpg
Wow... that is SWEET!!!! LOVE IT!

Glad I decided to go with the pea gravel in walk spaced... its all fenced in... so no mower can get in.
X2!!!!

Very nice job on the raised gardens and pea gravel.

Making....it...hard...to..resist....putting pea gravel ...in...mine now.........

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The garden is so beautiful and green!!!!

Beavis remember where you live and the heat? Didn't you say pea gravel would get to hot for you?

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rienbeau, I love it. I love the table and chairs. I have been thinking of putting a sitting area in my garden. I think I also see a compost pile in the back.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yup, that's my compost pile. That big log laying there is going to be cut up someday, and I'm hoping to put a bit of a patio out there for the table and chairs. I love sitting in my yard. Beyond the composter and more to the left is the chicken coop and the bee hives, back there I want to put a lawn swing so I can watch chicken TV and the honeybees glistening as they return at sundown - two treats in one!