Raised bed pics

epitman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you for all the info on raised beds I was thinking about using landscaping timbers as a boarder just to keep the mower out :tools
I am planting onions and lettice this weekend :thumbsup

davidium

Sprout
Reaction score
I just finished building 4 4' x8' beds with a center bed that is 3'x3' to add some visual elements. We plan on putting butterly/bee attracting plants in the middle and primarily vegetables in the other 4 beds.

We applied polyurethane to the outside and top of the beds to preserve some of the color of the cedar we used. Next steps are filling with good soil and adding material between the beds to keep it from getting muddy. I'll add a picture as soon as I can. New members have restrictions apparently

Having just built 4'x8', I think it's a nice size that my wife and I can both work in from either side and but also won't worry about trampling our stuff.

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey.. One more raised bed thought just popped in mind.. This one might be better for those of us (myself included) that do not like to bend over as much as we used to. The general thought is to have a square or rectangular outer raised bed box made in the typical fashion. Then, inside that box and perhaps about 1 foot smaller on all sides, use 4x4 posts to raise it so that this smaller box's board bottoms (the part that usually touches the soil on the ground) is at the level of the outer boxes board's top. Then, inside that inner box create another smaller box that is about 1 foot smaller again, that one raised in the same manner. What you'd then get is a full raised bed garden ala 3 dimensional if you like. Only the outer bottom box is at ground level -- the inner boxes (depending on how many you make) are higher and higher allowing easier reaching. I would think you could probably make 4-5 levels that way.. You just need more 4x4 posts to hold up things and then back-fill the entire contraption with soil of your choosing. Unfortunately I did not find a picture on the net of such as beastie if one exists... I guess this could be categorized as a vertical raised bed garden of sorts..

Below is one pic that is about as close as I found -- but mine is more like boxes within boxes..

http://webecoist.com/2010/03/17/good-things-in-small-boxes-urban-garden-tiny-footprint/

lighthawk

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My Raised bed garden. 12' x 24'
7809_r1-_1.jpg

And My raised bed Blueberry/strawberry patch
7809_r1-_3.jpg

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I concur with the idea of smaller beds. I had three 4'x40' beds at my last house. I was constantly stepping through them about every 4 feet because you work on one plant at a time and I wanted to be able to work on the other side! 8 foot would be my advice. Anything wider than 4 foot and you can't work it.
ON the praise side, I loved my raised beds! They are easier to work on your back and fabulous to take care of. Definitely put landscape fabric on the bottoms, extending up the sides to keep rhizomous plants from entering the beds and being an issue. We have quack grass. It is always in the forefront of my mind when designing anything.
Please post your pics when you are done!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow that is alot of rocks. We don't have rocks down here and all I can see is that must be a fortune.

Latest posts