Range Wars. . first blood

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
The neighbors seem to be waiting before striking again. Right now they are in court against the old neighbors they bought the property from. One case at a time is best for their attorney -- you know, stretch the fees and charges out.

I am still expecting them to come back after me. They didn't keep their promise to remove the shed by January 1, 2016. So they may have decided we pay part of demolition. (okay by me) Then there is the survey costs and the fencing to discuss. Since we've never spoken outside of Court, I suspect that's where we'll make these decisions.

Such a shame! Fencing costs are a shared expense by law. I fence half the line from the center to my right and they fence half the line from the center to their right. Nothing I see to arbitrate or bring suit over, IMHO.

The survey is another matter. They had a survey done "to prove was stealing their land." Their survey showed they had several feet of my land and I was not working anywhere near their property. I say the survey they had, resolved whether I was on their land.(Not) The court case resolved whether the disputed area was mine or theirs.(Mine)

If they want a new survey done, I'll pay my half, but I'm not paying for the one they already did, but didn't finish. "Sides, I have a problem with the surveyor they used. He lied in court several times and the neighbors said (in court) he was a friend of theirs. I wouldn't trust his measurements any longer.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fencing costs are not shared by law here. If I want a fence, I can put it up but the neighbors don't have to pitch in on the cost, unless they just want to. We have paid all the costs on the fencing we have put up. There is a 1,000 acre ranch behind us that is high-wire fenced and their fence is offset by 4 feet into their property. That means no one can tie their fence into the high wire fence because it would be trespassing.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My dad always set our fences a foot into our property and let the neighbors know that he didn't want any sharing. Kept things simple that way.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our city have a 6 foot rule! Clam that includes fences as permanent structures. So if you do not have a shared fence there will be a 12 ft space between fences. ?????

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
We don't have a law sharing fence costs either. But all our neighbors were nice enough that they shared in the costs. There was an elderly lady who gave us a rusted coffee can filled with rusted nails as her contribution. We were touched that she wanted to help us out. :)

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our city have a 6 foot rule! Clam that includes fences as permanent structures. So if you do not have a shared fence there will be a 12 ft space between fences. ?????

I can see keeping permanent structures off the property line by a certain distance, I've seen anything from five to ten feet in suburbia, but claiming fences as permanent structures is a bit beyond me. I've seen easements behind properties to form an alley for utility purposes and allow access, but that's behind the property, not what you are talking about. I'd really like to know the reason behind claiming fences as permanent structures with that offset. It just seems so impractical both from weed control and the loss of the use of the property. In Suburbia a six foot strip is a lot of land.

When I put up a fence in suburbia the fence went on the property line but since I paid for it I got to put the boards and such on my side so it looked better. The neighbor got to look at the ugly side. I was just replacing a fence that had rotted down so the fence line was really clear.

When I put the fence up out here when I bought an acre next door, I put the fence about a foot on my side of the line. Looking at other fences out here that seems to be pretty standard. That's the way Dad built his fences too. I got to decide which side of the fence the barbed wire went on and what gate I wanted. When I bought it we discussed the fence and it was expected that I'd build it. Just part of the deal. The neighbor did provide two good gate posts he had available. His son works for an electric company and had some old poles that could be cut to make really good gate posts. That was more of an offer on his part instead of part of the deal. Just a neighbor being neighborly.

Good fences make good neighbors but somebody has to build the fence and maintain it.

Latest posts