Raspberries any one???

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just went to our "pick your own" farm up the road and came home with 10 pints of Raspberries...I used up 4 cups making freezer Jam...what can I do with the rest...can I freeze as is??? or should i put some sugar on them???

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Raspberry shortcake for dessert tonight? :drool

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If you put them in a single layer on cookie sheets, freeze them and then bag them in freezer bags, they will hold their shape better.
You can also dip them in superfine sugar before you put them on the cookie sheet.
That's a little labor intensive, so we only do that to the really, really big ones.

OR you could make pavlova :drool http://www.joyofbaking.com/Pavlova.html

OR raspberry pie - my mom made one once for a charity auction and it sold for $150!!! But it's worth the price Yum!

valmom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I just finished my first ever raspberry jam last weekend. I don't like raspberries as well as strawberries, but strawberry season here was just awful.

It came out very seedy. (this is the first time I have tried seedy fruits). I was surprised, but I hate straining and making jelly. I always feel like I am wasting a lot of the fruit that way. Oh, well, it tastes good.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have made jam by passing seedy berries (raspberries and blackberries) through a food mill. I get most, but not all, of the seeds out without much loss of berries. I guess technically that isn't jam though.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am getting ready to make my second batch of blackberry jelly, tonight. I run the berries through my food mill and remove almost all of the seeds. Then, I give the chickens a delicious seedy treat! They love them. I do portion them out- sometimes fruit slows down their egg production, but I don't feel so bad not wasting the seeds....A win, win situation!

Latest posts