Raspberry pruning question

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It is finally spring here, and I am pruning my raspberry plants. I know I should cut out the old canes that fruited last year. What I am not sure about: should I cut down canes that are new, but almost broken?

Maybe 40% of the canes are bent at a full 90 degree angle. They are not dead, and both the upper and lower halves of the cane are full of leaf buds, which is why I hate to prune them all. Could I just tie them upright to a support, or is the partial break at the bend in the cane setting them up for disease?

If I need to cut them, should I cut them right to the ground, or just cut them right below the partial break?
I appreciate any advice on this!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
What I do is cut out the dead canes - usually easy to tell because they are grey-ish and brittle. Then I cut the rest of my canes to about 3 feet tall. That encourages them to branch out and bear more berries. I would cut broken stems down to just below the break but above a new bud with an angled cut rather than a straight one.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks @Smart Red. I had cut a few just below the break (before I stopped to ask this question), but I didn't think to angle the cut, so I will do that from now on. The broken canes will only be about 2 feet tall once I cut them below the break, but hopefully I will still get something from them.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You know, on Mid American Gardener, one of panelists said recently that she got so tired of the thorns that she pulled out all of her bushes and replaced them with thornless. I'm getting there!
I put on my DH's welder gloves and pull the dead canes on mine, and I dig out all of the volunteers. I'm beginning to think that our rabbit over population is hiding out in my bushes bc nobody wants to get near them!!!! :lol:

Latest posts