Raspberry question for Marshall

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Marshall , youbeing the berry expert, I have a question. But keep forgetting to take a photo!
DH planted some red raspberries, Heritage, I think. They came up beautifully this spring. All nicely leafed out. Then one started getting shrivelled leaves that dropped, then another branch and so one until nearly all leaves are gone. I think I might see it going to the plant next to it. I told him to trim off affected branches and discard them just to be safe. Any idea what is up?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, I will have to go out and look them over carefully to try and decide just what is up. Then treat accordingly. Good Luck with yours.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought new raspberry canes from somebody thinning their patch last spring. Mine did the same. They looked really good and started to get flowers and then the leaves started dying and then a couple a little bitty piece of raspberry that was red instead of yellow like I bought. I thought they would all die. I planted them the same as my other raspberries, which did not have anything happen to them. This year they look great and are getting flowers, so will see if they actually have fruit.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
sure sounds like crown borers lost all of mine to them.
it will look like welt ..

not much you can do for the raspberries, except pulling them up and putting them in the trashcan canes and crowns. and then laying down a layer of sevin dust in the host area. also of you are growing blackberries next to them think about putting your next raspberry patch elsewhere. blackberries and raspberries do not get along.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
O.K. DH now confesses he used some round up near the beds and thinks it might have been some overspray!
So will they survive? Or did he kill 'em?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
OMG--you gotta watch using RoundUP. The newest version has a fixative that keeps it on the leaves and stems even during heavy rain. :ep
I learned on Mid American Gardener (University of Illinois AG program on local PBS) that you should take a paintbrush and carefully paint the leaves of plants that are growing in the wrong places, so you won't affect the ones you want to keep.

Latest posts