Ready? On your mark...get set...

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here in New England, it is almost time to start seeds for spring planting. Today I got a couple of big heating mats and my flats & dirt mix. Oh boy!

Last year I didn't start things till March. That turned out to be a bad idea--without the heating mats, the plants were teeny and barely grew. They sprouted, but in about 2 months of constant fussing, they only got about 4" tall with maybe 4-6 real leaves. I tried to direct sow curcurbits and got about four plants out of several packets of seeds. And those were four very spindly, pathetic little plants. The only direct sown stuff that did very well was, of course, zucchini. :rolleyes:

This year, I'm following my neighbor's instruction to plant early indoors and move things outside under covers in April. Five flats on heat mats and another flat in the greenhouse window. If the seeds leftover from last year are OK, I'll have 15 kinds of tomatoes, 10 kinds of peppers (lots of hot peppers), 8 kinds of squash, and various cabbages, broccoli, leeks etc. Plus a bunch of herbs--bergamot, coneflower, pennyroyal, chamomile, basil and all the usual culinary herbs.

Naturally, all the stuff I was totally gonna get done without garden chores to do, has not been done. Was thinking of machine-stitching an easy scrap quilt, actually, because it's embarrassing how little I got done over the winter...

Are you ready? Have you got all your seeds and flats and potting mix? Got the beds all planned out?

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No!!! I am so not ready..... I am going to start my spring plants eventually.... like maybe next weekend. I can plant here as early as the first week of March. So I am a bit behind. But oh well.

allabout

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm not ready but you sure are making me want to get that way!!!

The hubby is tilling the soil next week to get those English peas in the ground. Also we will be planting some Irish Potatoes. That should get me motavated to get my act together! :D

2dream

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am as ready as I will ever be. I have all my seed here or on the way, well all my seed unless I decided at the last minute to plant something else. LOL And that is a very real possibility knowing me.

DH started breaking up the garden a few weeks ago. This is a new garden spot so lots of work going into it. We planted garlic and onions today. We have potatos ready to go into the ground the sometime after Feb 15th. I started my herb seeds today. Got more herb seeds on the way. And Strawberry plants arriving around March 8th.

Corn, tomatos, zuks, squash, pumpkins, several different kinds of peas and beans all just waiting for the right time.

I hate waiting.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I already started mine inside between December and January. They seedlings are taking over the house!!!! Definitely NOT ordering anymore here! LOL

http://fromseed.blogspot.com

You can see the jungle there... spring can't come fast enough.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm not doing any of the few things that take 8-10 wks before transplanting, so no "real" seed starting for me til early March when I'll sow the first lettuce and the tomatoes-for-wall-o-waters.

I don't consider my attempt at starting lettuce and spinach to grow in in the chicken building to be real seed starting, since for all I know they'll all end up dead anyhow :p

I am quite envious of those of you with last frost dates earlier than the first week of June though :p

Pat

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
YES! I'm fixin' (Texas term) to get started planting my precious tomato seeds because I'm betting that my super-o cool-o greenhouse/hoophouse will protect my babies when it's time for them to go outside.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Actually, I couldn't resist & started some seeds a few weeks ago. I've got everything under lights, and my tomato plants look LOVELY. I'm going to have to transplant them into bigger pots soon so that they don't get pot-bound.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I totally know what you mean. The last two years in Montana we had around a 90 day growing season give or take a few days lost on either end. I never had a tomatoes turn red on the vine in Montana. The only thing that grew really well was the zukes.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This year, I'm waiting until mid-March. I started in Feb last year and had some really leggy tomatoes :(

Latest posts