ready to give up warts for wrinkles? in the cucumber patch!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
070.JPG

Muncher

I am really happy that I found a Beit Alpha cucumber variety that is happy in my garden! It is a bit (or bite ;)) different from a regular cucumber. Very thin-skinned, nicely crisp, without large seeds even when quite mature . . . And, no warts! They are wrinkly little guys, young or old :p.

A few years ago, I grew Diva from Johnny's Seed Company. I had only 1 cucumber in a hill . . :/ Muncher likes me - and I like Muncher!

Steve

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Those cuckes look wonderful, Steve. Are they tasty? Do you think they would make good pickles? I really look forward to fresh cucumbers every season.

Our cucumbers were a great disappointment this year. While we had lots of them and they were beautiful, they did not taste very good. Most were kind of bitter, tough skin, and large seeds. I had 6 Straight Eight plants and 6 Burpie's Picklers plants. We did manage to make 13 pint jars of dill pickles and we had sparse table fare all summer. I'm sure the drought had a lot to do with our harvest. The first two weeks of harvest were very good but it didn't last very long.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are beauties! I need to remember that- those look better than any cukes I have grown!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smiles said:
. . . Do you think they would make good pickles? . . .
They are certainly tasty fresh but I don't make pickles, Smiles . . .

Here is what I found on the 'net! Quick Sweet Pickles Recipe (click)

Park says a little about Muncher being used for pickles(click).

Baker Creek also sells a Beit Alpha (simply called, "Beit Alpha"). One of the comments says that they make good refrigerator pickles.

Steve

plainolebill

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Steve, that's more cukes in one pile than we'll have all season. Could have done better but my wife insists on planting lemon cukes in the same patch with the slicers - bad mistake, those lemons are predatory, take over the whole trellis :rolleyes:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, there's the problem where I've got the melons, Bill.

The lemon cukes are in the same bed and I even had to pull some of them as a friendly gesture towards the melons.

I think I'll post something about the melons on Cat's thread. They usually struggle in my garden because of the climate but I now have a choice of 2 that seem to do well - if I can get the lemon cukes to leave them alone.

Steve

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
nice cucumber pile Steve, Think I will try those next year! we did straight 8s again this year, they started out good and tasty then started getting bitter again. Gonna switch it up next year with the munchers!

Latest posts