Really need to know about these

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ok, my DW and I was at the market today and found these

8205_onion_starts.jpg

what are they called and what will we get when grown.. we have already started some onions from seed, and we tried the little white bulb things last year and didn't get a single onion..
what should we have gotten?

Thanks in Advance

Don

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are onion Plants. There are sets, seeds, seedlings (usually grown yourself) and plants. Plants are the most successful for me. Plant right away if the time is right in your area. They can take a light frost. If you have to hold them make sure they do not mold. Hydrogen peroxide and water sprinkled on they should help.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
onion plants. and as long as they are the short day type they should bulb for you. do you know what type of onion seeds you started in the past? they may not have been the right type for your area and that could explain why they did not bulb. if they were a long day type those are for northern areas. intermediate can grow either in the north or south with little issues.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's hard to tell from the picture but since you are in Oklahoma they may be a type of multiplying onion if you got them at a farmers market. There are many different types of multipliers common in Oklahoma gardens, usually passed over the fence from one garden to another. The only way to be sure is plant them and see what happens. Onions, whatever they turn out to be, are always useful.