Recipe substitution

bcallaha

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a persimmon pudding recipe that's been handed down for generations. It calls for 1/2 cup lard. What can I substitute to make it a little more healthy? Can one use shortening or margarine? How much?

The persimmons are ripening, and I'm longing some of that long-time family favorite!!

Thanks
Brad

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am a firm believer in if it calls for lard use lard :) there is no subtitute that I can think of that will do the same thing

welcome and would you like to share that recipe please?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since I am a vegetarian- I always substitute something for lard. I think shortening is fine, you won't notice a difference. If you are really worried about it, you can purchase a no trans fat shortening, as well. Shortening or margarine should be the same amount as the lard. Enjoy!

bcallaha

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
HiDelight, the recipe was written in my grandmothers handwriting, probably 60 years or more. It's been used.....spotted and stained from being on the table when making persimmon pudding.

2 eggs
1 C sugar
2 C persommon pulp
1/2 C lard
1/2 t salt
1 C milk
2 t baking powder
2 C flour

Grease and flower a 9X13 pan. Combine ingredients and pour into greased pan.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Use the toothpick method to check if it's done.

It's not a pudding as most recognize pudding.....more like a gooey browney....finger licking good!!

Brad

ohiofarmgirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I think shortening is fine, you won't notice a difference
what!?!?? scandalous! yikes!
;-)

just kiddin... i love that lard and i'm so excited to be baking with it! it makes a wonderful cake! not veg of course... but yumO

crisco is just fine - or butter or half butter and half veg shortening...

bcallaha - how do you get the pulp? just peel 'em?? or is there some kind of mashing involved???

bcallaha

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ohiofarmgirl, I wash the persimmons good, and then mash them through a collender (sp?) using the back side of a spoon. That will separate the skins and seeds. I do remove the top before putting them in the collender.

Only use ripe persimmons, but not overripe ones. I wait until they fall to the ground and pick up the ones that are good. Some trees will give up their fruit before the 1st frost....some wait until after it frosts. Either way, resist picking them off the tree. The flavor is entirely different.

You should have some good wild persimmon trees in Ohio, like we have here in Indiana. If you try the recipe, let me know how you like it.

Good luck!!

Brad

bcallaha

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Update.....I made the persimmon pudding last night. I used one stick of margarine instead of the lard. Wow....just as I remembered as a kid (that was a number of years ago)!!

I took the persimmon pudding to work (otherwise I would be FORCED to eat it all myself) By 9:00am, it was all gone. I was surprised to learn how many people hadn't heard of persimmons. Everyone really liked it.

Thanks to those that replied.....you gave me the courage to try!!

Thanks
Brad

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
omg I missed this!!!!
thank you so much for sharing the recipe there is nothing better than a heritage recipe

I have to say pure lard is actually a healthier fat than margarine :)
but to each his own version of health!

I would have gone with real butter or the lard 1/2 a cup is not much at all but then I am all about the real deal with fat

anyway thank you so much for sharing the recipe sorry I did not notice it sooner ..I have been a little under the weather and on a good say I am a scattered woman

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have never tasted a Persimmon. What is it related to? I guess there are different colors?

It is such an oddity to me. :ep

Ron

Oh, I guess I should ask if I can see your plant. Is it a big tree?

country lady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Bcallaha, you might enjoy this persimmon bread that I've made many times. The recipe is from a Mother Earth Magazine (Sept. 1974). I always poured scalding water over the persimmons to clean them, then put them through a Foley Food Mill. The pulp freezes well.

Persimmon Bread

2 cups flour
2 teasp. baking powder
1/2 teasp. baking soda
1/2 teasp. salt
1 teasp. cinnamon
1/2 teasp. nutmeg
1 cup persimmon pulp
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1/4 cup softened butter or margarine
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Sift together the first six ingredients. Combine the persimmon, sugar, milk and eggs; add the flour mixture and the softened butter and mix until the dough is well blended. Stir in the nuts. Spread the batter in a well-greased loaf pan (9" x 5" x 3") and bake it at 350 deg. for 45 minutes or until done. This bread freezes well.

We like our bread a little under done.

Our trees are so tall now that the persimmons splatter. I always had to compete with the possoms and my dad's horses. Both love persimmons.

Latest posts