Recipes for VERY FILLING meals

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you are battling diabetes or even pre, the sugar in whole wheat bread is noticeable.

IF you own a bread machine-wife paid $15 for ours-fresh bread can be had in as little as 15 minutes of your time. IF you don’t have family history of diabetes, enjoy some sugar (desserts) for me. How I miss cakes, pies.......artificial sugars are beyond bad-leave a bad taste in my mouth....
I have a bread machine also and make bread for my 6 preschoolers every week. You're right it doesn't take long to make, maybe 10 minutes to throw the ingredients into the machine.

Now I'm into making sourdough bread. That doesn't have any sugar and is so delicious and good for you.

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a bread machine also and make bread for my 6 preschoolers every week. You're right it doesn't take long to make, maybe 10 minutes to throw the ingredients into the machine.

Now I'm into making sourdough bread. That doesn't have any sugar and is so delicious and good for you.

Mary
Tell me about this bread. Recipe? I know, I can never have a true SF sourdough.....could it be made with whole wheat flour?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tell me about this bread. Recipe? I know, I can never have a true SF sourdough.....could it be made with whole wheat flour?
There are many recipes out there. I took the 12 Day Making Sourdough Starter with Me series by Teresa Greenway on utube. On Day 12 you make a bread. That recipe is for beginners and is pretty fail proof. I've moved on to another recipe that was tweaked by Deanacat whom I followed on Instagram. She tweaked the recipe from Maurizio from The Perfect Loaf.

These recipes do not have a very sour pronounced flavor. That's what I like about them. I normally don't like sourdough but love mine! The second recipe has 30% whole wheat, 5% rye, and the rest is breadflour. I have been too chicken to add more whole wheat and decrease the breadflour. I know whole wheat takes more water so I would have to increase it by a little. How much I don't know. Everything is measured in grams.

Do you make sourdough?

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
No. I’m looking for recipes with limited or no sugars. What we get in Indiana for sourdough is good-although I’m sure not in same league as yours.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score

Mary

That's so cool, Miss Mary!! I just got a starter made too and will be using sourdough this year to make all kinds of bread. I'm making sourdough pizza Monday...can't wait!

We are going old school this year on all our food, doing pickled corn, beans and kraut as well. Sourdough bread fits into that picture quite nicely, as we lived on that when we homesteaded...Mom made biscuits, pancakes, bread, etc. out of that same crock of sourdough and it was soooooo good!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, I'm still a newbie at sourdough but I love the bread and the process. I am taking it very slowly. I finally figured out how to not discard. Math is not my strongest suit. I haven't ventured yet into pancakes, pizza, etc. I'm barely on the second recipe. I really like it and am sticking to it for a while. It's simple enough for me. I'm still working on tension to get a nice spring.

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
No. I’m looking for recipes with limited or no sugars. What we get in Indiana for sourdough is good-although I’m sure not in same league as yours.
Making sourdough is a lenghty process although each step doesn't take much time. If you want to learn I recommend those utube series by Teresa Greenway. She is an excellent teacher. You will make your starter which takes about 2-3 weeks to mature and then bake an easy bread on Day 12. Check it out.

Mary

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Speaking as a rank amateur here, I believe the area you live in makes a big difference in the taste of sourdough. It's the naturally occurring yeast in the air that makes the distinct taste. I tried making sourdough from "scratch" and the end result bread was not particularly good. Here in Swamp-east Missouri the air smells good, but apparently the yeasty beasties are not the best.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
A bit of trivia or maybe just an old wives tale, not sure which but it sounds good. When they were putting together an old time western cattle drive the experiences cowhands wanted to know who the cook was before they signed on. It wasn't just could they cook beef and beans, but each cook had their own sourdough starter. The flavor of that individual sourdough starter could be the difference between a good cook and maybe I don't want to eat his food for that long a time. It was supposed to be a disaster if that starter ever died.

Latest posts