Reclaimed potting soil

aee96

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
First, does anyone know what reclaimed potting soil is? They sell it at the local dirt/rock center. I was considering put it in my raised garden beds and mixing with compost. These are new beds that are empty now. Would it need anything else - sand, peat, etc.?

I don't like the "garden soil" at my local place because it has fresh horse manure in it and a lot of shredded bark/mulch type material. I've had issues with seedlings not being able to come up thru the bark/mulch.

Thanks for any input,

aee

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am not sure of this. I know I reclaim some of mine by mixing in compost over the winter. I also add some fresh soil to help it out.

Have you asked them what exactly is in the mix to call it reclaimed... or is it just used 100% with nothing added on their part.

My local landscaping place offers a top soil (mostly sand and clay here) and 50% compost mix. I like this, and I'm planning on using it in the beds lining my driveway for my lavender. I think it has excellent drainage.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well I don't know for sure what reclaimed potting soil is, but I will hazard a guess. It's soil that has been used before and is being recycled. The question I would ask is why is it being "reclaimed" and where did it come from.

Doesn't mean anything is wrong with it. I worked for a small nursery back in my college days and we made beds to propogate azaleas, boxwoods etc in the fall and the soil went back into compost piles when the plants were transplanted in the spring. I would call that a form of reclamation. There are always plants and transplants that don't make it as well so that soil get recycled also.

I would think a 50/50 mix of that and compost would be ok personally.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We have a friend who owns a greenhouse near us. At the end of each season whatever plants are left over get dumped back on the big piles out back.
When I start a new garden or bed I have my DH go down with the backho and get a scoop of this . I assume that's what you mean by reclaimed potting soil? I have used it for years. I mix it with some regular topsoil and some mushroom compost and it makes great garden soil. I don't know exactly but I would estimate I mix it about 2 parts potting soil, 3 parts topsoil and 1 part mushroom mulch to start.
Using this also means I get bonus flowers of all kinds popping up in my garden. lol

Latest posts