Recycled Items for Gardening Purposes

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am also trying this year to use cartons as temporary planters for accommodating crops that just need a few months to grow.
3843.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
More carton planters are on board! They are carrying okra, watermelon, cucumber, and potato.
1027.jpg

This one is already quite robust, but I still added one more layer from inside.
1038.jpg

1037.jpg

Okay, ready for being a planter!
1036.jpg

Some dried grass clipping and greenwood cutting
1035.jpg

Residents arrived.
1030.jpg

The carton is also used for the temporary bottom of a bottomless planter.
1033.jpg

1034.jpg

I cut some branches from the Forsythia in the corner and used them for making initial supports for the tomato young plants.
1029.jpg

1028.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lots of moved soil, Phaedra.

Years ago, DW and I were working outdoors. I don't remember what the task was but it might have been near the beginning of the march towards more and more containers in the yard. I used to say that I wasn't much of a container gardener but others might question that. Right now, there are 10 large pots where that tree once grew in the backyard and maybe just as many along the little side walk, out front.

Anyway, way back then, I was starting on some project and ask DW, "Where are we going to find more dirt?." Our neighbor at the time laughed from the other side of the fence. She came around where we could see her and said, "Always the same question, where are we gonna get more dirt?!"

It does seem like an important question. Dirt always has a designated location ... until, you start Container Gardening.

:) Steve

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lots of moved soil, Phaedra.

Years ago, DW and I were working outdoors. I don't remember what the task was but it might have been near the beginning of the march towards more and more containers in the yard. I used to say that I wasn't much of a container gardener but others might question that. Right now, there are 10 large pots where that tree once grew in the backyard and maybe just as many along the little side walk, out front.

Anyway, way back then, I was starting on some project and ask DW, "Where are we going to find more dirt?." Our neighbor at the time laughed from the other side of the fence. She came around where we could see her and said, "Always the same question, where are we gonna get more dirt?!"

It does seem like an important question. Dirt always has a designated location ... until, you start Container Gardening.

:) Steve
Every spring, the discounters here will have special offers for gardening items, including soil. So we will take a few packages whenever we visit the shop. They cost around 2.5 Euro.

Container gardening really needs a lot of soil. In my own garden, I will mix homemade compost with the soil; however, in the small garden, no compost is available yet - I used a little bit of twigs and dried grass clipping at the bottom.
1283.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
In the rose greenhouse where I once worked, there was a propagation bench.

It was elevated and essentially a shallow basin filled with Perlite. Above the cuttings was a misting system operating on a timer. About every 30 minutes, the water valve would open and the mist would fall for a minute or so. The entire bench was surrounded with plastic film.

Plants were transplanted to pots that were placed in several gutters arranged in a greenhouse. The "stacked" arrangement was so that they could be filled with water and drain out the bottom of the 4 gutters, I believe it was. Since those years, I see "vertical gardens" photos using the same technique.

Everything was all quick and easy. It worked just about 100% although this was a small operation as we did few cuttings. Rose bushes were purchased grafted by other companies and the retail shop was small and, mostly, unadvertised. So, there were only a few plants that were sold. The greenhouse was almost entirely focused on the wholesale growing of cut roses for distribution through a wholesale florist co-op.

Steve

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My old school mate has a neat number of branches he needs to get disposed of. I have been collecting pallettes to make a fence for this veg patch I want to create in 2050 ( 🙄 yes it's taking forever) . These branches will make neat perches for my chickens and I'd like to add most of them on top of these palettes to make the fence higher.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My old school mate has a neat number of branches he needs to get disposed of. I have been collecting pallettes to make a fence for this veg patch I want to create in 2050 ( 🙄 yes it's taking forever) . These branches will make neat perches for my chickens and I'd like to add most of them on top of these palettes to make the fence higher.
Got the branches and two more pallets for my veg garden fence

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Same wooden boxes, now they are used as trays for drying Tulip bulbs.
4594.jpg

Then, I realized why it's suggested to dig out those bulbs - most of them produced many bullets. Those bullets won't generate flowers in one or even two years. I didn't decide to keep or compost those tiny ones yet. However, as the tulips are dying back, I will dry those bulbs first.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Okay, one box is a bit sad now, but the chilis insides are totally fine. I put them here because I will directly spread the soil and decomposing cardboard in this region in autumn—no need to clean up further.
4311.jpg

They grow well, but I removed the lower leaves and side shoots.
4314.jpg

The other one for the potatoes is holding very well, and the potatoes look happy, too.
4312.jpg

Latest posts