"Red Lightning" Tomato (from Burpee seeds)

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Has anybody ever grown this? I got the seeds on a whim this year and have had successful germination indoors. Am wondering how much of the garden to devote to an unknown tomato.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
These are fairly new, if I'm remembering correctly; only a couple of years, and they sold like wildfire.

I have a feeling they will have the hybrid vigor, and they certainly are eye catching.

I don't think you'll have any problems, and will most likely be happy with them, but I could be wrong. If someone else knows something to contradict this, I hope they will post.

In the meantime, plant your seedlings freely, I'd say, and good luck! :happy_flower

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news but here's my humble opinion.

One of Burpee hybrids that didn't do too well. Then again I don't like hybrids to begin with.

I tried this one to see if I could grow it for customers because of the color and resistance to heavy pruning (customers can go prune crazy sometimes). The yields are somewhat disappointing to say the least. The fruits look perfect but taste horrible. I can compare them to most store bought tomatoes with tough skin and flat flavor. It's Burpee's attempt to improve the Red Zebra variety. It seems they only improved the maturity date. The fruits do seem to set early and mature quickly.

They were very susceptible to blight also.

I'd recommend them as a patio fruit :p maybe in a planter box somewhere for display of their fruit? Kind of like ornamental kale or pepper plants?

Either way, it will make a nice conversational piece? :D

Good luck!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's really interesting, Oakland City Farmer!

I don't grow hybrids, so have never tried it myself, but so many people raved, that I assumed (always dangerous.) that they were improved as other hybrid tomatoes have been....across the board. I trust your opinion over what I've heard, though, and will remember what you've said, in case it ever becomes a topic of conversation with someone I know.

Yes, Red Zebra was the variety they were working to improve. I can live with an imperfect looking tomato, (though not all people who buy tomatoes can.), but taste, well, that's the most important thing, after growing well, in my opinion.

I'm really glad you spoke up, thank you! :coolsun

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah, customers tend to love those perfect looking tomatoes over the tasty ones, but once they taste a slice of Black Krim, they're sold.

Unfortunately a lot of the *improved* hybrids being grown are sometimes steered the wrong way and we lose the classic flavor of a tomato. Which I think this is the case.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Of course, to people like you and I, who eat those wonderful old varieties, most other tomatoes are going to lack something, I imagine. But some hybrids are more of a success than others.

My motto is simple. It doesn't have to be perfect looking; it doesn't have to withstand mechanical harvesting; it doesn't have to travel very far; it just has to grow well in my area, taste great, and retain it's biodiversity. :happy_flower

I don't want to hijack this thread, but was wondering what varieties you are growing this year? Are they listed somewhere? :)

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tutter said:
Of course, to people like you and I, who eat those wonderful old varieties, most other tomatoes are going to lack something, I imagine. But some hybrids are more of a success than others.

My motto is simple. It doesn't have to be perfect looking; it doesn't have to withstand mechanical harvesting; it doesn't have to travel very far; it just has to grow well in my area, taste great, and retain it's biodiversity. :happy_flower

I don't want to hijack this thread, but was wondering what varieties you are growing this year? Are they listed somewhere? :)
You're right about that.

This year's varieties:
Brandywine
Black Krim
Yellow Pear
Hartman's Yellow
San Marzano
Caspian Pink
Plum Lemon
Black Prince
Lemon Drop
Ponderosa
Besser
Marion

That's all for this year and I'm going to be trying some new varieties next year.

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks, you guys, for your feedback and comments on hybrids vs. heirloom types. There's nothing like someone's personal experiences! You can't trust catalogs, that's for sure.

It has been consistently warm enough these nights to warrant planting my warm-weather crops in the raised beds on Saturday (finally!). I ended up planting only the two biggest 'Red Lightning' seedlings in the bed.

I will follow up with comments as they progress.

Latest posts