Red mulch film

tricia

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm not sure if any of you have tried the red plastic under your tomatoes, but I have for the last 3 years under some of mine. I can't believe what a difference it really makes! I have experimented with red, black and none at all and each year the plants with the red under it turn into these monster plants with bazillions of tomatoes on them! Yes, bazillions, to be exact. :lol:

Has anyone else tried it? What were your results?

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I tried it, but didn't notice that it did much. However, I didn't grow some with and some without, so it wasn't a rigorous scientific comparison.

Maybe the reason it didn't work for me is because we don't get a whole lot of warm summer days (greater Seattle area)? My best results have been growing tomatoes in pots in a greenhouse.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I personally don't use red plastic mulch, mostly because of time and effort, but have used it in the past and can agree that it will help your harvest, especially if you have frequent nighttime temperature drops. IME, the difference isn't noticeable enough to make me go out and buy tons of plastic but who knows!

I'm glad that it worked for you and gave you bazillions of tomatoes. What variety did you use, if I may?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My mother has used it for most (not all, b/c they're not all in the same place) of her tomato plants for the past 6-8 years and swears it makes a substantial difference. This is just outside of Philly, if it matters.

I, OTOH, always end up with too many tomatoes anyhow ('cuz I always seem to plant too many), so I do not feel inclined to go to extra expense and trouble to get even more :p

Pat

tricia

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
2006 I did Yellow Pear, Pink Brandywine, Roma of some sort, and one other I don't remember.
2007 I did Sunsugar, Great White, Black Krim, Green Zebra, Yellow Stuffer, Plum Lemon, Health Kick..... that might be it.
This year I planted Sweet Millions, Black something or other, Yellow Pear, Belgium Giant, Big Rainbow, Sunsugar, Health Kick, Heinz something, Viva Italia andYelow Stuffer.

You were asking about the tomatoes, right? :D

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
tricia said:
2006 I did Yellow Pear, Pink Brandywine, Roma of some sort, and one other I don't remember.
2007 I did Sunsugar, Great White, Black Krim, Green Zebra, Yellow Stuffer, Plum Lemon, Health Kick..... that might be it.
This year I planted Sweet Millions, Black something or other, Yellow Pear, Belgium Giant, Big Rainbow, Sunsugar, Health Kick, Heinz something, Viva Italia andYelow Stuffer.

You were asking about the tomatoes, right? :D
Right!

Those are some nice varieties. Did you notice great performance from any one in particular?

Green zebra is a great variety. I need to get some more seeds for next year. Belgium Giant was a great surprise one year, we had a fruit the weighed about 6 pounds. Gigantic!!

tricia

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My husband did not like the Green Zebras (I thought they were cool) or the Great Whites. The Yellow Stuffers were the only ones that had nice plants but not a ton of fruit. I only did one plant last year and this year I am doing 4 because my kids and husband loved them. Yellow Pear and Sunsugar get pretty much out of control with fruit here and my kids eat them like candy! I wish I could have found Black Krim again this year. I should have saved seed from last year but I had my third child in October so I was a bit distracted!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
tricia said:
My husband did not like the Green Zebras (I thought they were cool) or the Great Whites. The Yellow Stuffers were the only ones that had nice plants but not a ton of fruit. I only did one plant last year and this year I am doing 4 because my kids and husband loved them. Yellow Pear and Sunsugar get pretty much out of control with fruit here and my kids eat them like candy! I wish I could have found Black Krim again this year. I should have saved seed from last year but I had my third child in October so I was a bit distracted!
Yeah, kids tend to do that!

Let me know for next season and I'll send you some seeds. I always have more seeds than I can use or give away. Black Krim is one of them. I have tons of other heirlooms too. Someone should remind me at the end of the season to post what seeds I have.

tricia

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks - that would be great! My husband will be thrilled, he was sad not to have them this year. He is the big tomato fan in my family. Peppers too. I have 27 pepper plants this year and 26 tomato plants for him. Let me know if I might have some seeds you might like in return.

tricia

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Black From Tula is the black I planted this year. Do you know how they compare to Black Krim?

Latest posts