Red Wonder Strawberry

Wind Notes & Butterflies

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I recently order some Red and Yellow Wonder Strawberry seeds from Bakers Creek.
I have never planted these before and was wondering if anyone here had.
The description of them sounded like they were very Tasty ans easy to grow.
Thought about starting them indoors then putting them in large containers.

If anyone has any experience with these I would love to hear from you on your experience and how you grew them

Wind Notes & Butterflies

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
I started some inside. The plants are tiny but growing well. I got the red kind :D
What kind and size of pot and soil did you use and how many seeds did you place in it.
These came with no reference as to how big they grow so I have no idea how to space them.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I used a 6" pot and put about 10 seeds in there. The soil is sterilized garden soil mixed with some peat moss. I have never had trouble transplanting strawberries so I am not worried about having to put them in separate pots later. A few of them sprouted about 2 weeks ago and the plants are only about an inch tall so that isn't a problem yet.

Strawberry seeds do need light to sprout so keep that in mind.

Wind Notes & Butterflies

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
I used a 6" pot and put about 10 seeds in there. The soil is sterilized garden soil mixed with some peat moss. I have never had trouble transplanting strawberries so I am not worried about having to put them in separate pots later. A few of them sprouted about 2 weeks ago and the plants are only about an inch tall so that isn't a problem yet.

Strawberry seeds do need light to sprout so keep that in mind.
Did you sterilize your soil or buy it that way?
Are strawberry's easy to transplant? (want to put them in bigger patio container)
Do you have any idea how big these get and whether they produce runners?

Sorry for so many questions I have just never planted any strawberry's from seeds before. :rolleyes:

Bakers Creek needs to put more info on their packages on plant size and soil preference...
It doesn't even state if they are perennial or not.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I took some old soil I already had and baked it. Then I added the peat moss.

I have transplanted other strawberries in the past with no problems.

As for the rest, no clue. This is also my first time growing strawberries from seed :D

I think you are stressing too much though. Strawberries, ESPECIALLY wild strawberries, are tough little plants.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ah! Just found this....

"Red Wonder Alpine Strawberries
Also called Fraises des Bois, tasty Alpine Strawberries are miniature cousins of the regular Strawberry. Easier to grow and often considered to be sweeter than regular varieties, they reproduce and spread by seed rather than by runners. Alpine Strawberries perpetually bear fruit through a good part of the summer as long as they are watered regularly in times of low rainfall and protected from furry and feathered sweet-toothed thieves. Only growing 6 to 8 tall, they can be used as a border plant or as an edible ground cover. Taste-test to determine ripeness so that you can familiarize yourself with the optimum harvest moment. The fact that these delicious gems do not store well will never be a problem since they are usually gobbled up immediately. Hardy perennial. (OP.)"
http://www.kitchengardenseeds.com/cgi-bin/catview.cgi?_fn=Product&_category=111

Wind Notes & Butterflies

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Ah! Just found this....

"Red Wonder Alpine Strawberries
Also called Fraises des Bois, tasty Alpine Strawberries are miniature cousins of the regular Strawberry. Easier to grow and often considered to be sweeter than regular varieties, they reproduce and spread by seed rather than by runners. Alpine Strawberries perpetually bear fruit through a good part of the summer as long as they are watered regularly in times of low rainfall and protected from furry and feathered sweet-toothed thieves. Only growing 6 to 8 tall, they can be used as a border plant or as an edible ground cover. Taste-test to determine ripeness so that you can familiarize yourself with the optimum harvest moment. The fact that these delicious gems do not store well will never be a problem since they are usually gobbled up immediately. Hardy perennial. (OP.)"
http://www.kitchengardenseeds.com/cgi-bin/catview.cgi?_fn=Product&_category=111
Thank You Wifezilla :rainbow-sun

Seems according to the planting link instructions I'm running a little behind on putting the seeds in the pots.
I will get right on that this weekend so hopfully I will get to enjoy these sweet little berry's this summer