Redbud Tree

Chiefs Mess

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
First time here, came from Backyard Chickens. This forum looks like the old BC. Sorry to get sidetrack but here is my
question:
I have a beutiful Redbud Tree, I woke up one morning and noticed the leaves are starting to fold over and turn brown. What is making them fold over is insects (believe it is inch worms, saw them dangling from tree) laying eggs then use thier silk to close the leaves.
One; do inch worms do this?
Two; how can I resolve this? I don't want to spray the tree with chemicals (I am against chemicals if there is an organic way) because I have quite a bit of humming bird feeders on it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Dorrie :watering

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have seen similar on redbud trees around here. I am uncertain the name of the worm-but the characteristics are the same. They curl the leaves up around larvae, and the tree suffers.
While visiting the Purdue greenhouses I noticed they were using some kind of predator bugs to destroy some worm larvae. They said they bought the predator bugs online, but I can not remember their name or where...sorry!
They just sprinkled the tree with what looked like sawdust and let the bugs do their thing.
good luck
Redbud trees grow like weeds around here.

Chiefs Mess

Leafing Out
Reaction score
TU
I will try check out Perdue's website see if there is any info in there
Dorrie

ps they grow wild/abundant here too (VA). SIL laughed at me when I bought one. I believe it is easier and somewhat safer to get when out of a tub then on someones property.

Latest posts