Regional Dialects

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It seems like a lot of us once lived some place other than where we now live. I imagine that this would make a list like this ~ pretty impressive list ~ from North Carolina State University, a little less surprising.

Years ago, I was told that I was "obviously" a California. Wow. That stuck with me. I should have asked, "In what way?" Well, my family came here over 100 years ago but . . . whatever.

Grandma, over 100 years ago, was meeting the man she would marry one "evening." The guy who would be my grandfather was Canadian. Grandma was born in Missouri but arrived here as a small girl. "Evening" came and went and she was nearly in tears when Grandpa showed up after 6pm. Anyway, that was the story she told. If you can find your question out of this list, it will be kind of fun. I think it will start off with whether it is pop, soda, coke or something else . . . (Can we tease Cat' about how she might pronounce "cauliflower" - question #5??)

http://spark-1590165977.us-west-2.elb.amazonaws.com/jkatz/SurveyMaps/

Steve ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat' had an update on her cauliflower just yesterday.

And, the way it is pronounce by the majority in Massachusetts seems to be fairly unique :).

Kate, those maps are easier to use and have the same research behind them ;).

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
O.K. Steve. I was born and raised and live 3 miles away from the home I born in! MidWest (East Central IA) I think we mostly say *Pop* Maybe the most distinctive is the addition of an R in Wash! We tend to WARSH our clothes and George Warshington was the 1st President. We also go down to the Creek or Crick! Ask any of my German Grandparents and they may say *Shut the Light ON* and *Throw the horse over the fence some hay!*

Major_Fawcett

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I can't remember the last time I heard the word "pop" used for a soda. Brings back some good ole memories though.

Major

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I guess the one thing we say around here is "down the holler" we have a million of those saying here. And I drink pop too.... :D A lot of people used to tease me for my accent when I lived in SC.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
My dad would go to the store and ask us what kind of Coke we wanted. I am from Coke country. My children call it pop. I say things like ice box instead of refrigerator, but that is because my mother did have ice delivered to an ice box.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh boy...I was actually born in central Indiana (Anderson, for you Hoosiers)...grew up in South Texas (Zapata, for you Texans)...and have since lived in San Diego, Ca...Memphis, Tn...Jacksonville, Fl...Dam Neck, Va...Charleston, Sc and the northern panhandle of Wv. I'm like a melting pot :)

Latest posts