Regional Dialects

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I very much appreciate being able to "talk" with folks from different locations. We even have a new guy from Australia! My cousin went to school in Australia . . .

Anyway, my family has been from just about every side of the US and Canada, in just about every corner of the US. It took awhile to get here :).

We have done this on TEG before -- I think about 2 years ago -- but the NYTimes has made an easy test. It still takes 25 questions so, be patient! And, look at how your previous answers match other folks in the US as you go along. There is a map for the "previous question" answer on the left side.

I got my pies in the oven and just zipped right thru this! AAaaannd, they figured it out! Imma talking like folks in my neighborhood.

Click the little gardening guy to take the test:

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Being my relatives from north and south, plus growing up in an area where it was 50:50 between people from Kentucky & Illinois, they missed me.

Although it got my daughter correct

Last edited:

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
the test nailed my location, very interesting. I have an old friend from our school days who moved to the upper peninsula area of Mich. about 25 yrs ago. last time i saw him about 5 yrs ago he has a definate midwestern accent, I guess you pick up the speech habits of where you live after being there awhile.
Have a Mary Marry Merry christmas. lol

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well they got me wrong. See those three little maps at the bottom of the page when you finish the quiz? Two out of three were cities in Wisconsin. The other one was Reno, California. All of my family history is in Ohio as far as I know.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Man! I Am Really Needing to Watch My Double Postings!! Today is the first I've seen of this thread!

If I delete the 2nd post immediately - that works. If it a separate thread, I don't see it . . . not the way I have been trying to keep track of others posts. Very quickly, the OP cannot delete it.

Now, I know I wouldn't want to delete this thread. I mean, I've learned things about TEG folks and that somebody has moved Reno - to California.

SeedO, I checked census info: Since 1970, Columbus, Ohio's population has increased a hefty 50%. Reno's population has increased 210%!!! Those people in Reno had to come from somewhere!

Steve

Last edited:

Latest posts