Replanning For Planting a Woodland Garden

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well we have a very diverse piece of property. We have the wide open expanse of the majority of the yard where I've done most of my gardening veggie, flower and otherwise (Orchard, chicken coop, playspace for the kids, ect). Also there is the pond, which I put a raised bed, my husband has been clearing and is putting up a dock to fish off of as well as add himself a hammock area to finally get an afternoon to relax out under a tree.

Which brings me to the entrance to the wooded trail. Its always been an overgrown natural area... we just trimmed it back to the little trail opening and left it as is.

Then today, hubby goes CRAZY man with the weed wacker, mower and a hatchet!!! HIs friend Jon and him decide it all needs clearing, leave the trees though, but all vines, bushes and brush had to go. Now its this HUGE opening to the woods... so he tells me he'll either plant some grass with we highly doubt would make it, or I need to plant it to look NICE!

So now, what do I do?! I think a nice woodland garden would be awesome at this point. Bushes I'd really love to be flowering and thick to keep any old weeds and brush from growing back. I am going to actively airate the soil and continue to turn the soil as well for now to keep anything from taking root again... in the meantime I need to make plants for the space.

So I will post a photo of the opening later and would LOVE ideas for a layout, whether to remove the trees that are there or not... and what would grow well in the area. Now, it will get morning sun... and will probably get decent amount of sun until ten or 11am .. then filtered sun until about 3.

Maybe a good seating spot, or a second hammock to enjoy the shade in the late afternoon?

Anyways.... I'm excited about another project... but this is going to be all planting... and I may have to start trading with your guys for some cuttings to see if I can propergate some new items into the area.

(I will be battling the dang trumpet vines from hell while doing this, so if you know of anything that would kill that stuff off before it kills all my stuff... let me know!!!)

ideas!?!?!?!?!

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a woodland garden.
Each fall I buy bulbs on sale and make groupings of each variety here and there, as nature would do. They only need the spring sunlight and the shade is fine throughout summer. In spring it is a wonderful sight!

I transplanted wild plants from areas that seem similar to mine. They are usually from someone who is clearing a woodland for a house.

My garden is never done, some things adapt well, others don't.

I am thinking that you should be cautious about an over zealous turning and aerating the soil which could kill the trees that you want.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok, here's a photo of the entrance to the woods now. The only entrance was to the left of the pine tree you see. Hubby widened it over to the right... he said he's clearing out the rest of the trumpet vine all the way over to the water where there is a willow tree hanging over the water.

You can see I've left 2 trees and all the ground itself has been cleared! (I bet the soil is awesome with all those years of dead leaves composting there!)

Anyways... this is where I'm looking for ideas of plants.

woods1.jpg

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
could you put some trilliums in there?

what a great space ..I also have a woodland area that my husband put a tiny pond in and we have trilliums ferns and are looking for a huckleberry to go in there ..I wanted to try to keep it as "native" as possible I want some wild lillies as well and perhaps some wild columbine (I have to just move it from another area)

If I can get a picture of it I will post it ..there was an old junked up model T back there and I kind of like the rustic look it gives it so I did not pull it out ....well I could not pull it out and just ended up saying I like the rustic look!!! :p

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That looks like a lovely spot for a woodland garden! Here in zone 4, I am thrilled to have angel trumpet! It has taken years for my plant to grow a few feet!! I would think any plant that appreciates a little shade, would love that spot. Hostas, bleeding hearts, ferns, etc. It would make a great seating area, too. What a challenge- can't wait to see what you decide to do...Enjoy!