Repotting a citrus tree

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What kind of potting mix would you use if you were repotting a citrus tree in to a bigger container?
And how old would a tree be to put into the tree? OK thanks

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow,

That's a tough question. Are you mixing your own?

Personally I would go more in the lines of a good organic with several degrees of substructure to it (various sizes of debris), going with a peat mix has a tendency to be too consistent and clogs up the soil.

I would also want some perlite in there as well. This will aid in the lightness of compaction that can happen over time.

Then I would dash in just a bit of sand for drainage.

But, if you are headed to the store to buy a mix, then just reach for a potting mix with the above qualities (poke your finger in if you have to) LOL

Later, after you plant you can begin to feed a citrus accordingly and the plant will thrive. They are pretty tough as long as you protect them from freezes.

how old would a tree be to put into the tree?
I am not sure what you mean. How old does it take to become a tree?

Goodluck,

Ron

I do know the trick to growing citrus from seed if anyone wants to know. :watering

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was asking because I repotted my kumquat with with a miracle grow mix but that made my fruit all watery and super weird. I think it actually burned my fruit. And then I was thinking well that mix was supposed to last 9 months worth of feeding so do I have to add more at the end of the cycle?

I also have a satsuma which is young very much like about a year or two. It did not fruit this year. And I want to keep it in a pot for a while so that I can keep it from a frost easier until it gets a bit bigger.

So then I guess from your post Ron, going with a mircle grow potting mix is a good idea.

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Regular Mir- grow is not what you want for your citrus.
At all the stores they have a citrus mix. I would repot it with that. Just one pot size up at a time! Just add to the soil don't try to remove to much of the old soil.
Some come with time release fert. some don't. If it don't get some food for Citrus at the same time. Slow release works well. Be sure to follow the directions on the box, when in dout less is best!

I hope that helps a little.

Joe

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks... I didn't see the citrus mix but I will look for it...

TheNewBee

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Im glad you asked this question. I have a pink lemon tree that I need to repot. I was thinking of planting it in the ground but I can't decide on where in the yard so I'm just gonna repot it but didnt know if I needed to do anything special to it. now I know. thanks

Latest posts