Rescue a mini rose

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
When you see these live miniature roses being sold at the big box stores as gift baskets don't forget to buy one. It's one of the best deals out there. They usually have anywhere from 2-5 individual rose plants growing in there. When you buy them it's very easy to separate them and replant them. It usually averages out to be about $2 a plant and the nice thing about mini roses, are they grow on there own roots and are very hardy and if you have problems growing full size roses then try the mini rose, its ten times easier than the full size rose. So don't forget to rescue a mini rose. You will be rewarded with lots of blooms for years to come.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I usually end up with one in my cart in late winter when I'm grocery shopping at the market. They really are tough little guys. I have a yellow one in the window right now. I'll plant it in the flower bed in June. I have a deep red one planted by a path that comes back every year no matter how tough the winter was.

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I will try and post a picture of one I rescued and the abuse it takes but keeps coming back

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
If you buy clearance late in the season, make the mini-rose an indoor plant, and they DON'T need full sun to thrive! I've kept a lavender, full sized rose in a pot, waiting for the bed to ready for two years now. I have it in front of a NORTH window, and it has flowered there. Mini roses are very hearty, BUT, it is best to mulch them in the late Fall. I have lost a few of them from our winters.

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I plant them in the garden. They are frosted over, but spring out of the earth grow new shoots. In any case, they need to update the cuttings about once every three years.

Latest posts