Resting compost

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So I've got a batch of compost in the composter (see pic). It looks to be just about done, but I need tp let it cool for a month or more DT the chicken poo in it. What do I do with it? Put it in a garbage bag with time and date, and then I can start a new batch in the composter?:/

6256_dsc02838.jpg

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Have you got an area where you can put up a small, "open" compost bin to store it in until your comfortable to use it?
Don't see any reason why you can start a new batch, either.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It'd be better to pile it outside, if at all possible. If you HAVE to store it in a bag, at least leave the top of the bag open and punch some good sized holes in the sides for air. You don't want funky anaerobic things happening in there (won't permanently ruin the compost, but will make it nasty to deal with :p)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
boggybranch said:
Have you got an area where you can put up a small, "open" compost bin to store it in until your comfortable to use it?
You mean add to what is already in there? I'm confused...:(

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
desertgirl said:
boggybranch said:
You mean add to what is already in there? I'm confused...:(
No.....pour it out into an open area. Sorta like a "regular" compost heap area. A "staging" area, you might say.

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ahhh, got it. I'll have to find a spot. A month or two of cooling should be plenty?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Desertgirl...How long did it take your compost to be done? Do you like your tumbler? Is it hard to turn when it's full? I have the bin type and I find that it's alittle hard for me to turn but I'm not sure if the tumbler would be any easier. Let me know how you like it.

Mary

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The major problem I've found with a rotary tumbler is that if you get too much green matter in it, it will roll up into hard balls that don't get enough oxygen inside. I had to break them up by hand. It helps to put a few fist sized rocks in your tumbler so they will help grind things up as you tumble, kind of like the sand in a birds craw.

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hmm...I haven't had any problems with it balling up. Approx 2 months (most of the time very cold) and I have compost. I love it! I don't think it is that hard to turn. Plus, when you turn it there are snails lined up along the drain whole (which means the chickens get escargot!!).

All in all, I am very pleased with it. SOOO much easier than the old bin and shovel method.