Returning from My Walk

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I went for a walk this morning and when I returned, realized that the snow in my yard is completely gone! It has nearly disappeared a couple times before, since showing up the first week of December. It wasn't like I was trying to keep it around; it would melt and then snow again. Finally,it was down to a little patch of snow where I'd piled it beside the driveway and a little frozen pile where it had slid off the car port into the shade.

The 4th day in a row today that the thermometer has hit 50°f this year! It has been raining, including a few records for rain in nearby towns - at the lower elevations, there went our snow!

I dug a hole in the back yard down about 6". It is not frozen. It surprises me how quickly frost can go out of the ground as it warms above and is thawing from below, as well.

It will be a month before I can get seed in the ground. The gardens are mud, mud and more mud. Right now, the rainstorm coming over the Cascade Mountains looks like Wisconsin!

Steve

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We're getting there! I live in the same region as you, I think. (Dishman-Mica area of Spokane Valley) I am celebrating Daylight Savings Day eve. Starting the cleanup of all the things I didn't do last fall (as usual). It was pretty chilly here today but it was sure good to be outside.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm just going to sit here and sulk because I still have LOTS of snow. Mostly on all the garden plots where it is perversely deep.:(

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Getting there . . . except for Thistle'!

Thistle', there was a record 1.37" of rain in Mullan. That topped the old record of .4" by an inch! That was uphill from Kathie's and my gardens, too. Didn't it help enough?

Okay, you just wait . . . probably another 3/4" of rain over the next 36 hours. You'll be in the soup before you know it!

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I think our ground here is more frozen than yours. That's just weird. Although, it is supposed to get up to 70 here on Tuesday. Yea!

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'll need to go for a long, long, VERY long walk to return to a snow-free yard!
However, I have noticed that the ground is now exposed where the snow was plowed (it had been solid ice underneath the snow).

There is a big snow storm being predicted for later in the week, but I think it is too early to know for sure.
Here are earlier phases this winter:
image.jpg

image.jpg

And this I just took this morning:
image.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That was a slip and fall sequence, right? Robin, your road looks treacherous! I'm wondering if I should be dragging the 2x12 ramp & 3 boxes of bricks out of the back of my 2-wheel drive pickup. Probably better not.

No, it has been a fairly normal winter - certainly, not very cold. The Midwest was where things got seriously baaad, this winter.

The South had its moments.

Maine? It seemed like the storms always went there before blowing out to sea no matter where they were earlier.

Steve

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bucka, that is some serious snow you've still got. Hope the sun shines soon and you get a chance to dig out!. I will stop feeling sorry for myself because it looks like rain today! :oops: You're right Steve, we're getting rain today. Thistle, I hope the rain washes some of your snow away. I am watching for a break to get outside for a few minutes. Maybe I'll see if I can uncover and dispose of a few slugs, I got some Friday.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, Steve- you are a lucky man... We still have a good 6-8 inches on the gardens. We have had above freezing temps a couple of times ( and some predicted for tomorrow) but the melting is happening very, very slowly. Oh, and this morning I had to scrape ice off the windshield in the snow squall. Come on spring!!

Latest posts