Rhubarb Question

OCMG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have been wanting to buy my rhubarb from a reputable garden store but they never carry it around here. They only have the Plastic packs in Home Depot and that is why I bought mine in there.

I have often purchsed at Home Depot, and i don't really like to, but you get it where you can. I have bought from the so called reputable shops and plants have died and they do not guarantee they will grow but Home Depot does, if it fails you bring it back and you get another one, try doing that and your local landscaper.

I purchase an expensive Wegielia and it died they would not take it back, but home depot would. I do not buy at walmart but they also would have taken it back.
I purchased a Harry Lauders walking stick, expensive at one of those local landscape places and I asked if they guarantee it, and she practically laughed in my face.
So just about now I will take my chances on Home Depot.

Once those reputable places get your money dthey kiss you goodbye. And that is my experience.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have to say, if you are having multiple plant failures from 'reputable place' (when stuff from walmart does fine), then I would question the quality of the plants you are buying. There are garden centers, and there are garden centers ;) For instance anything with the word "landscape" in the business name is prolly not run by real plant people.

If you live in an area where there ARE no decent plant suppliers within an hour's drive, then I guess walmart/home-depot and mail order are your only choice. But I shouldn't think there would be *that* many regions like that (?).

Pat

ridgefire

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Believe it or not but my rhubarb plant has been past down through the generations.

My great grandfather gave a root to my grandfather, who gave a root to my father, who has since given me a root.

Still growing strong. I hope to give some to my son.

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Don't forget! The leaves of rhubarb are supposedly poisonous. Only the stems are edible. I imagine the results of eating the leaves though would be probably no more than a belly ache.

OCMG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
So just how poisonous are rhubarb leaves, I wondered? To quell my curiosity, I did a little research and found out that rhubarb leaves contain oxalic acid, which is used commercially in metal polishes, stain removers, and writing inks. Yikes. So my next question of course is, So what happens if I eat them? Included in the list of post-ingestion symptoms are ones I would expect- abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea. And thrown in for good measure is, death from cardiovascular collapse. I think Ill stick to stalks
I thought you might get a kick out of that from a Rhubard recipe page.

I doubt if many would die but i wouldn't like to take that chance.

I finally found plants at Home Depot and gave in and bought some. I have been wanting Rhubarb for years and never got around to it.

I have walking onions that have been passed down over the years, I got them from my friends' uncle in Illinois, I pass them to everyone and they have traveled around the US for many many years. I love stories like that. :love

Thanks for sharing yours.