Rhubarb roots!

silkieboxerluv

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I would like to find some rhubarb to grow-my grandfather came over and was talking about it. This is the one thing that we have not grown yet.. I will pay shipping etc.

freshfood

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
HI,

I'm in upstate NY (15 miles north of Albany), and my mom has a huge rhubarb patch. Totally organic, and regularly produces over 100 lbs of rhubarb a year.

I will be digging some roots this fall to transplant into my permanent bed. I'd be happy to dig you some, too. Probably the end of August, early September. The season has just ended here, so the plants need a little time to recover before they get dug... that's why I plan to do it a little later in the summer.

If you're interested, let me know how to get in touch.

freshfood

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
smom1976 said:
I would love to get some will it grow here in zone 8?
Don't know, but call your local ag. extension office or garden center and find out. If so, I'd be happy to dig you some, too. Let me know!

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I would love to jsut know how to keep it alive! I have tried 3 times and watched it die all 3.

freshfood

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
I would love to jsut know how to keep it alive! I have tried 3 times and watched it die all 3.
My mom's patch is at least 50 years old and has had no care except when she harvests stalks she cuts off the leaves right there and puts them back around the plants as mulch. It just grows!

When you tried it, did you maybe harvest too much too soon? or did you not get as far as that? Mom has a clay soil, not too awful heavy, and lots of shale - there are places in Mom's yard where you hit solid bedrock six inches down. Not an area known for fertile soil! And as I say, this rhubarb has been quite happy for half a century. It likes full sun, and the roots need to be divided occasionally, which is what I'll be doing this fall.

The soil at my current house is similar to Mom's but not all the shale rock. I hope I don't have luck like yours when I transplant! I've given roots from Mom's patch to other local people and it's done fine...

Don't know what else to tell you about care and feeding, since we've never done either (and my parents bought their house in 1964!).

greenthumb89

Sprout
Reaction score
you have to make sure that it gets enough water. i just transplanted mine last year and it didnt grow well then i asked my grandfather what he does to get his to grow, hes like your mother and has the biggest patch ive ever seen. he waters his during the summer so i tried that this year and its help trememdously. but when you first transplant it make sure that you let it grow for a year before harvesting and make sure that you pull the seed heads that year. hope this helps

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
about the best I have gotten was living about 2 months from initial planting. Not sure what the problem is.

candyd

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Good Evening!
If you have enough, I would love to get some of your rhubarb too. I live in Corinth, not far from you at all.

Thanks,
Candy

Latest posts