Roasting peanuts?

houndit

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We are growing peanuts this year. Does anyone have a way they recommend on curing/storing them? We would like to just roast and salt them. We tried it once before and they were not very good.
Thanks for your help!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
hoodat said:
In parts of the South they boil them in salted water.
My ex-boss loved them, to me, tasted like crap..........just dig them up, allow them to dry on the plant hanging somewhere safe.

I use to love to take fresh peanuts, cook them in butter until lightly brown and eat them w/salt.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
In parts of the South they boil them in salted water.
Yep, they sell them fresh hot and boiled at the farmer's markets here and they sell out QUICK! ;)

Herbgardener

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
How salty should the water be and how long do you boil them?

seedcorn, that sounds interesting! I might have to try that.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
get some of that zatarans crab boil and boil it in that with a bit more cayanne.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just dry them as seedcorn said until the shells get brittle.

For parched (or roasted) peanuts you can shell or parch them in the shell. Spread out the peanuts on a baking/cookie sheet and bake about 325/350 for about 20 mins. Just keep an eye on them after about 15 mins. Add about 10 mins to cook time if you leave them in the shell.

For boiled peanuts, it's better to cook them green as you get much better, or more consistent, results. Add 1 TBS salt for every quart of water and boil for around 2-3 hours. Taste a few at 2 hours and see how you like that consistency. They start to really pick up the salt in the last 1/2 hour or so of cooking.

You can also boil dried peanuts. Treat them as you would dried beans. Bring your peanuts and unsalted water to a boil and boil them for about 10 mins or so, cover and cut off the heat. Allow them to stand overnight. Pour off the water and rinse and then cook as above. It usually takes a bit longer for dried peanuts to cook to a good texture. Say between 3-4 hours. :)

Latest posts