Ron, commelina erecta

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Was wondering how the little started seeds are doing that I sent? If they didn't take I can do some cuttings of the commelina before the frost and send them with your brugmansia :)

And I harvested some seed from the gayfeather and let them dry - OMG they look like dandelion seeds! How crazy!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Goodmorning!

Of the Commelina seeds I got 15 total. At first I wasn't sure what I was looking at. Since these were kept moist I thought they were already sprouting, but it was part of the flower part that is attached to the seed head.

What I discovered was that by allowing those seed heads to dry they eventually cracked open and out came 3 seeds. According to the internet they should be smooth and brown (on the darker side). From what I can tell I only have 2-3 brownish ones that are more on the tan side, and one that is really dark; the rest are all white. So I am not sure if they are viable. On these I decided to wait until the Greenhouse is wrapped in plastic so that I can increase the heat and the humidity ( I am certain in the wild they would probably wait until Spring to sprout...so I still have time, I hope).

As for the Liatris, this was very wet when they came in so I put them in a bowl to dry and sure enough they 'popped' open with the tiny feather end on them like a dandelion! I have these already planted in newly composted beds along with the Iris!. I mixed some of the Liatris with my Salvia Greggii so that the blue can compliment all that red!

The Huisache Daisy is out where I would like to see it show up. I am treating this one like all the other desert wildflowers with not much attention at all. I have them planted where they can obtain water if they want, but also so they can remain on the dry side like a wild field.

I will wait until Spring to plant the Eryngium. I am sure if I put them out now I will forget them and then haphazardly destroy the new seedlings without thinking. So best to wait on these.

Thanks for thinking about me on these. I am sure come Spring we will all have more to trade and if I do not have any Commelina by them we can do something different, like small starts.

:bouquet

Ron

Latest posts