Rooted in Arkansas

handyman42

Sprout
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently found and joined this forum (I'm a member of our sister forum backyardchickens.com) and just wanted to say hi and I'm glad to be amoungst people that share the same enthusaism for gardening as I and that enjoy the little things... Such as leaves. I'm 21 and my wife of 1 and a half years and our 4 and a half month old baby boy live in central Arkansas where we enjoy just living out in the country, growing a garden, and raising animals for food. Which is nice when it seems like once a month the FDA puts out a recall on some kind of produce, lol.

One of my favorite crops is squash, the blooms are very pretty, and the crops/blooms add a nice contrast to all the green in the garden. (And I love fried squash). Other then that I'd have to say hot peppers and tomatoes because I was raised on homemade salsa and it's delicious.

This year we're going with heirloom seeds from Baker Creek because I'd like to save as much seed as I can so I can maybe stop spending so much on them every year. We're getting all the usuals, pole/bush beans, cucumbers, squash, peppers, tomatoes, onions and some others. I take pride in the fact that my young son will have the best possible food source available... Good Ol' Arkansas Dirt.

Again I would like to say I'm glad to be here and can't wait to meet all y'all and "compare notes" if you will and gain knowledge of how to provide for my family by means of gardening and hopefully pass a little along as well. Thanks for having me and have a blessed day.

Seth.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are in good company here if you love squash. Lots of squash lovers on this site. I like the idea of squash, but don't really like the squash that much. I'll just take the maters, thank you. Oh, and beans, peppers, cabbage, onions, potatoes........

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome handyman! Believe it or not I have a hard time growing certain squashes. I can grow the usual green zuchini but can't seem to be able to grow patty pans or golden zuchinis. Even though I don't grow much from seeds, I'm lucky that the Baker Creek store in Petaluma is only 45 minutes away. I go up there to get my chicken feed and it's always fun to go in there and browse.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
hi-1.gif
, Handyman,

I'd just imagine that we are all glad you are here!

Steve

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! It is good to see someone else in their 20's that has their head on straight.
Good to hear you like squash, they are also one of my personal favourites.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hello and welcome, from your neighbor to the west (Oklahoma). I love squash and engage in my yearly battle to the death w/ the Empire of Evil (squash bugs) and wrestle a few from their clutches each year! lol

Latest posts