Rooting geraniums

HenHaven

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have a pretty scented geranium that I would like to propagate, but I'm not sure what to do. Any advice?

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
They should root in a glass of water. I did this all the time as a kid with regular geraniums.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Geraniums are literally one of the easiest plants you'll ever try to root.

Just snap of a piece and stick it in the ground, pot or near the geranium you cut it from, keep it well watered and it will snap back.

I can recall a few times I took pieces of a friends geranium, left it in the car for a few days then stuck it into a pot and it rooted. Like I said, easy. ;)

HenHaven

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thank you. I used to propagate my houseplants years ago...I think I have just lost my confidence. Easy is good! LOL

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LOL i bought a gorgeous hot pink geranium earlier in the year and put it an old iron syrup kettle that my grandmother had used as a pot in her yard. it did great for a whole week and then the chickens discovered it had perlite in it and dug it up. i found it out in the yard a couple of days later. poor little wilted, dried up little thing... put it in a pot with some soil, gave it lots of water, and it went from being completely dead to back like it was when i bought in just a few weeks. its even blooming now.

i also rooted some red ones from one at my grandmas house, they had just been broken off by some cats or something and the wounds had hardened when i found them. i brought them home and stuck them in some dirt and watered them a few days and the took off too. the chickens dug one of those up too and it wasnt so lucky. but the other one is doing real well. i hate the way geraniums smell, im surprised the chickens will even get around them.

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I love the way geraniums smell. They remind me of my childhood. when I was really small, maybe 7, I used to hang around with the really old lady next door and she showed me how to propagate geraniums. It was the first plant that I was taught how to grow.