Rooting Hormone question

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Does anybody have experience using rooting hormones? I would like to try it, since I brought my 5 "ginormous" red geraniums inside for the winter, and I'd like to propogate some more for next year. I've already bought a bottle, and I have plenty of window and grow light area available. Thanks ahead of time--you'all have the best advice here! :hugs

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey how did this post get by me? I am slipping!
Hormones are great! But not all plants need it!

Your Geraniums should root just fine without the hormone.
I also would not tent the cuttings. They already are holding a ton of water. Keeping them to moist will cause them to rot before setting root.

Good luck, these are a good starter plant for folks wanting to try cuttings for the first time.

Joe

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What is the name of your rooting hormone, jOe?

I got a Root Stimulator And Starter Solution By Green Light? Would this work on most products?

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
obsessed said:
What is the name of your rooting hormone, jOe?

I got a Root Stimulator And Starter Solution By Green Light? Would this work on most products?
I use mostly Root Tone brand, they are all about the same.

What you have sounds more like a transplant starter, to help newly planted plants set down good roots fast.

It will work but I don't think it has a fungicide in it like rooting hormone does.

Propagation was done long before Rooting hormones were on shelves!
It just helps sway the odds in your favor!

Joe

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was raised on Rootone so that is what I still use; occasionally willow water in the spring, for fairly easy rooters that I just want to give a little help. I agree that you shouldn't use hormones on something that will fundamentally root easily on its own.

Care of the cutting is more important than powders, though, IMHO.

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hmmm... so about how long would you say a plant should safely set roots and start new growth... 2-3 weeks, maybe 6 weeks... a few days?! I have no idea! I don't even know what I am looking for at this point. :/

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Hmmm... so about how long would you say a plant should safely set roots and start new growth... 2-3 weeks, maybe 6 weeks... a few days?! I have no idea! I don't even know what I am looking for at this point. :/
When they show a few new leaves starting you know it has set root!

A Coleus will root in a glass of water in a few days.
A rubber tree will take about 2 months.
It will depend on the plant and the conditions around it!

Joe

Oh don't worry you are doing just fine with your attempts.
greenthumb.gif

Joe

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
What Joe says. Depends drastically on the kind of plant. Don't try to anticipate or overthink it, just keep the conditions right until either you see signs of new growth (which means roots have begun to strike) or the thing frizzles over and dies completely :p

Pat

Latest posts