Rooting Hormone

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
zynski said:
injunjoe...

I've been told that you can use honey as a rooting dip. Have you tried this?

I'm in the process of cleaning up and taking in my geraniums- l pelargoniums - before a frost sets in... trimming and rooting some cuttings. Someone told me they use honey as a dip for rooting the cuttings.
Cool I have never tried this.
Thanks I will look into it and give a try.

zynski

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm going to give this the scientific try. I have some geranium cuttings, some honey and some rooting powder. I will try both methods in a scientific trial.

you know... there are some scientific studies that show honey to be an antibacterial and anti fungal... they have actually used it as a wound dressing with remarkable success.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
zynski said:
I'm going to give this the scientific try. I have some geranium cuttings, some honey and some rooting powder. I will try both methods in a scientific trial.

you know... there are some scientific studies that show honey to be an antibacterial and anti fungal... they have actually used it as a wound dressing with remarkable success.
It is anti-bacterial for a while then it starts breaking down (or so I read...lol). i will be interested to see your results!

:pop

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi there :frow

I'm afraid I don't use anything & I still have 95% success but that might be our climate here. the one plant I have problems taking cuttings of is clematis. I can peg them down& that' s fine & I can grow them from seed but separated cuttings.........nothing :barnie

have a great weekend & enjoy your wonderful gardens! :rainbow-sun

:rose Hattie :rose

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
:frow Hi there :frow

I'm afraid I don't use anything & I still have 95% success but that might be our climate here. the one plant I have problems taking cuttings of is clematis. I can peg them down& that' s fine & I can grow them from seed but separated cuttings.........nothing :barnie

have a great weekend & enjoy your wonderful gardens! :rainbow-sun

I have tried that and unfortunately (with the exception of my tomato clones) it has always resulted in death for the cutting.... :/

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow :frow

Right I shall try the honey on some clematis cuttings -- I would just be over the moon if it works -- I'll let you know. Please, please , please let it work........!!!!

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
:frow :frow :frow

Right I shall try the honey on some clematis cuttings -- I would just be over the moon if it works -- I'll let you know. Please, please , please let it work........!!!!

:fl Good luck on the clematis! What variety is it? I have the Sweet William seeds that Bluebird was sending out. I have yet to plant them BUT think it might be a good project over the weekend!