Rooting Roses

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have some rose cuttings in water (collected rain water) that have long since lost their blooms. Yet they are still very green and putting on new leaves. One is a bush type rose that makes the most beautiful red hips. The other is a climbing rose.

I am thinking they will root. I figure it can't hurt to try. I guess my question is can I put a couple crumbs of Miracle Grow in there to encourage root growth?

I forgot to add I also have some Ferti-Lome root stimulator for doing transplants. Would that perhaps be a better choice? Like just a drop in the vase of water? Dang, I wish I had some fish poo....lol!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

I have never actually gotten a rose from a rooted cutting. I am currently trying in the ground with the 'Mason Jar' method. By taking the cutting on an end where there was once a bloom, and crushing or slicing horizontal along the stem at the bottom, treating with a root hormone, then pushing them in the ground and placing a mason jar over them.

This is intended to be done in the Fall to Winter, then Spring the results are tallied.

Right now I have several that have been under jar for nearly a month now; I am tempted to see if they are growing roots and if they are to go ahead and get them into the greenhouse for growing over the winter.

Once, while working at a hospital, I saw this vase of roses turn into a vase of Rose branches growing and thriving. They even set root. I was shocked! Must of been the right combination or that patient was throwing their meds into the rose instead! LOL

Goodluck, here is an explanation of the 'Mason Jar' method; it has been used for centuries by those old Covered wagon folk!

Grandma's Mason Jar

Ron :rose

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i have pretty good luck rooting roses in the springtime when their buds are swelling, before they leaf out new growth. i cut them off and stick them in soil (in a pot) and forget about them. it would probably help to water them once in a while?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Greensage45 said:
Once, while working at a hospital, I saw this vase of roses turn into a vase of Rose branches growing and thriving. They even set root. I was shocked! Must of been the right combination or that patient was throwing their meds into the rose instead! LOL Grandma's Mason Jar

Ron :rose
I want some of those meds!!!!

Seriously, though, thanks all for the hints on roses. I have never had any luck growing tea roses, but my miniatures do okay, so it's worth a try. I'm getting ready to prune down and cover them this weekend.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Ducks4you,

Do you normally prune and then mulch your roses prior to snowfall?

Here in the desert southwest we have always held the approach of leaving the rose as is through the winter and then doing all the pruning on February 14. I can only assume that this date was chosen based on the Affairs of the Heart, but all the same it works so well for us considering our Spring is then only weeks away.

I never really put too much thought into the actual day and I am sure most years I am within a week or two either way. :tools

I do find that it allows less loss from winter damage, less cane loss that is. I use Epsom salts in the Spring to promote the plant to produce more 'lower' canes. More canes means more plant and more flowers.

I also get the benefit of having the hips develop into viable seed by letting the plant rest through the Winter.

Do you have any hips on your roses now?

This year I nearly lost all my mini roses under my Pecan trees. The trees did a sap covering on everything within 50 ft of the tree! The sap was like maple syrup. So I pulled the roses and potted them and now I have them in the greenhouse for the winter. I feel like I am cheating! LOL :clap

Ron

Latest posts