Rooting Roses??

Dixiedoodle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have a beautiful, old, barely pink, climbing rose that I would love to have more of but I have no idea what var. it is! It has some 'wild' limbs that are low to the ground and I was wondering--can I root those limbs. I thought I might scrap the stem and place it in the ground and see if it roots. Will this work or will I need to cut it off and try to root it from the cutting??? ..Dixie

warren

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Try several methods and see what works best.
Take cuttings and plant them into gritty soil.
Bend a low down stem down and put a rock on it and cover it with soil. Wait a few weeks to see if it has rooted.
See if there are any suckers that you can dig up and pot.
At least one of these methods should work.
Best wishes.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Low branches that are buried with soil usually root for us. Seems to work the best. When we cut in the winter we take some of the cuttings and use them to root in moist soil.

mom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Gallon Pot
Wet your potting soil
cutting about 6 inches long
cut the bottom at an angle right under a leaf node
scratch (gently) with your thumbnail a couple of times down the bottom of the stem
rooting hormone - you can get it at wallyworld
disolve a small amount of rooting hormone in water and dip your cutting (the directions will not tell you to disolve the hormone but if you get too much and that is a very easy thing to do, the bottom of the rose will form a hard callous that will never root)
make a hole in your potting soil with your finger
stick cutting in hole
firm soil
cover pot with gallon zip loc bag - they fit just right on a gallon pot
set pot on ground in shady area, preferably an area that stays moist
walk away and LEAVE IT ALONE

check occasionally to make sure you have moisture drops inside of baggie - if you don't have drops then sit in small tray of water until the pot sucks up water

when rooted remove plastic bag and gradually introduce to sun

if you are impatient - use a clear solo cup with holes in the bottom and use a sandwich bag over the top

you will be able to see when roots form and not have to guess

Dixiedoodle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thank you, both! I will try several different methods to see which one works best..

"mom', Do I pull all the leaves off the stem cutting? How large of a cutting do I need ( pencil size ?). Is Now a good time to take cuttings or fall/winter?

thanks again...Dixie

mom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Dixie - pull the leaves off that would be under ground - it will rot. Also - pinch off any very new leaves at the top.

The optimum time to root is right after it has bloomed. Snip off spent blooms and stick away

Dawn419

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm so glad you asked about this, Dixiedoodle, as I'll be attempting my first Lady Banks rose cuttings tomorrow. :fl

Thanks to those of you who replied. :hugs I'll be trying several of the methods to see which works better for me.

Dawn

yotetrapper

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks guys excellent post! I will be trying this soon!

Latest posts