Rose advice...

tomatokate

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm thinking of starting a small rose garden, and, I have a few questions. First, which type(s) of roses do you recommend for mild climates, and beginners. Second, are there any tricks you know of to help roses grow/ stay healthy. And third, Which type(s) of roses do you like purely based on appearance? Thanks. :)

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi, :welcome

Have you considered putting your location and zone on your avatar or signature line?

Your answers would be more apparent to some folks that way! :clap

Ron :bouquet

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow
Welcome tomatokate, to the wonderful world of roses. :D

I think the most important point is to only buy roses that are grown on their own roots -- ie. not grafted. They are much stronger & healthier in my experience.

Then you have to consider your preferences in terms of colour, perfume(or not), climate, resistance to pests & disease, modern or old fashioned types, climbers, bushes etc, etc. There are just so many variables. Give us a few clues, plus your location & we will try to help.

:rose Hattie :rose

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm a beginner when it comes to roses...I only have Knockouts (Radrazz), but I love them because they are hardy, disease resistant, and low maintenance.

Sorry I can't be of more help.....I hope you are able to find the right roses for you!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The shrub roses and old antique varieties tend to be most disease-resistant (tho see asterisk below) and low maintenance. I do not know what kind of 'look' of rose you want, but unless you very specifically want huge modern hybrid teas, you should be able to find shrub or old-timey roses that suit your tastes.

(* - although a few are just very *tolerant* of disease, meaning they may become terribly disfigured by blackspot each year and give it to all your other roses but come back next year just fine *themselves*. If you would mind this, research varieties carefully before purchase)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
+1 to what Hattie said about own root roses. They can be found on the internet in a few places.

For beginners I would recommend any of the rugosas. Those things are indestructible. You just put 'em in the ground (gravel, sand, close to salted winter roads, where the dogs pee on them, rocky soil, clay, they don't mind), and wait. Within two years you will have a very aromatic, very spiny hedge of roses taller than you are, and they get big red hips in autumn. No mulching or pruning required, they are perfectly capable of minding themselves and the birdies love to eat the rose hips.

Appearance-wise, I am a sucker for the David Austin varieties. But those tend to be sold grafted, and even when you can get them on own root, they take some fussing--compost spring & summer, 2-3 applications of neem oil spray, pruning, wrapping in burlap and mulching pre-winter.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow
Hi tomatokote,
I thought this article might explain why growing roses on their own roots is often a good idea:

http://www.jproses.com/pdfs/media/Own_Root_Roses.pdf

The following site gives you a good selection of rose suppliers who sell own root varieties in the US:

http://wnyrosesociety.org/WhereToBuyRoses.html

Both Reinbeau & Greensage45, members on this forum, have a lot more knowledge than I as to which roses flourish well in the US (as I live in the UK ).
They have both written a lot of their experiences on this site so you can look up their posts.

Personally I like to grow old-fashioned roses with a strong perfume. I have many climbers & ramblers as well as large shrub types. I like to use the petals in pot-pourri. My favourite colours are the dark reds & the reddish purples as they seem to have the strongest perfume. But I have plenty in other colours. I also grow my clematis through them as these old roses often only have one flush of flowers so the clematis add more colour & interest through the rest of the year.

Good luck & enjoy making your rose garden I hope it brings you as much joy as mine does. :frow

:rose Hattie :rose

********Edited to add this extra bit of advice : http://kendruse.typepad.com/ken_drusereal_dirt/roses/
Plus:
http://www.rose-roses.com/links/weblinks.html

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi again,

I found this website that has this fabulous list of 'conditions' that might help you in choosing a rose or roses for your garden.

Although this site is not longer an operational Rose Business, the owner decided to leave this information up for all, in the hopes it helps folks in finding their roses. How nice!

http://www.vintagerosery.com/pickingroses.htm

Ron :bouquet

ps, you might want to also click on Marcia's page; it is a very touching story!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Although I find every rose more beautiful than the last... my absolute favorite low maintenance, super hardy is 'Bonica'!
It is a florabunda, own root shrub, produces hips, light sweet scent.

I've had mine for over 15 years, no disease, blooms repeatedly and heavily for me June through October, right up to hard freezes.
A little pruning in Spring, and a shovel of compost now and then, fits my gardening style well. :)

Added note, 'Bonica' tolerates some shade, will hold flower color better in part shade in warmer climates.

Best of luck with your rose garden, enjoy!

Latest posts