Rose Hips, What to do?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So I've left all my roses on my bush, and the hips have been there just swelling and swelling.

My question is now that I have a ton of huge ones... what do I do?

How do I go about harvesting them, and what to do for storage?

What I would like them for..... rose hips to dry for tea. So how do I dry them?

I would also like to make rose hip jelly.... do I dry them before I do that, or keep them fresh?

Appreciate all the help! :)

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
First you should send me some! LOL

No really I think some rose hip jam would be great. If I had them I would dry some,freeze some,and make some jelly with the rest.

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
When I had rabbits, I would give the hips to them. I would also give them the blossoms. Nothing goes to waste here!

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Freeze first. It improve the flavor.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh, I read to leave them on the bush until after the first freeze? So I haven't harvested any. If I were to harvest some now, could I store in the freezer for the meantime or is it best to wait until winter either way?

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
vfem said:
Oh, I read to leave them on the bush until after the first freeze? So I haven't harvested any. If I were to harvest some now, could I store in the freezer for the meantime or is it best to wait until winter either way?
I personally pick them when they are big bright and orange/red. I don't wait till the frost. I throw them in the freezer and process them when I have time in the fall/winter.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok, so far none are red or orange at all... so I will wait... as patiently as I can! :lol:

Latest posts