Rose Hips

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ron I am talking with Eby and she just returned from her Mom's house.

Her Mom ( Violet ), that is her real name, has a Rose cutting all rooted and ready for me! :woot

But I am told that it never gets Hips. it is a cutting of a cutting of a...
You can see were that is going. The original was from IN. say about 50 years ago.

So I ask, Is there some that don't get Hips or is it because of the fact it is from a cutting?

Thanks for this great reply, ( Not there yet? Wait for it! ) :hu

Joe

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Often when roses do not form hips it is because the flower is so dense with petals that the bees and other pollinators are unable to get inside to the pistils and so no pollination takes place.

With these kinds of rose you have to either collect the pollen sacs and do the pollinating with a paint brush or other instrument or pull off the interior petals so the bees can get in.

If it is not a multi-petal flower and is more like the wild 'five' petal varieties then it could be a mule! I have never met a 'mule' rose, but I have met a Hibiscus that was unable to reproduce.

Things like this happen in nature. Genetics is a tricky thing, a cross from one to another can produce a plant that is lovely but is unable to reproduce themselves. So in this case propagation would be via cuttings and bud-grafts.

I didn't catch the type, the color, or anything else. What other information do you have.

This is wonderful that it is already rooted. I cannot wait til you introduce us to this rose! :thumbsup

Ron

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks Ron!
I have not seen the Rose in bloom for sometime now.
I don't remember the details but will get the whole story when I get the plant tomorrow.

I think that the petals are very tight! And it may be a pink color.
I know it grows like a shrub and has small leaves. Oh and it smells wonderful !

More info soon!

Joe

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Roses span the whole range from never setting hips, to rarely, to seldom, to sometimes, to often, to being really prolific with hips. As Ron says, it is often the more "wild type", simple, few-petalled flowers that set more hips, but there are lots and lots of exceptions.

Being from a cutting is for sure not the cause though :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i am curious to see if my roses will get them, i goggled a picture and im going to say no, but i have been known to not pay attention .. so i am going to keep an eye out ......
i cant wait to see your new rose joe
pink is a good color!!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You know, I was thinking about a pink rose that is rarely bought and most often a gift by way of rooted starts. It has tiny leaves and very tiny blooms that are very clustered.

I bet there is a good chance this is the rose you are about to receive. It is called The Seven Sisters Rose

I actually had one and like a dummy I gave some cuttings away and somehow lost the main root to something. I certainly enjoyed this rose tremendously.

It roots easily from cuttings, and it has a range of colors which typically are darker when they open and then slowly fade to a light pink.

Although you say bush, if it is a 7-sisters it will likely climb. Some have called this a rambler since it does not need to be trained to climb but instead to cascade upon itself like a fountain. I cannot wait to find out!

Here is a picture or two
22f58a40.jpg

22258eb0.jpg

If it is a 7-sisters rose that you are given, then it was first developed in 1817 and has been a gift from one gardener to another for generations upon generations. This is a wonderful Rose to have (especially if it is your first or only rose) !!!

It amazes me the things you find Joe! Come to think about it...when do we get to see Violet's garden?

Ron :clap

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I will have to go and do a photo shoot of her wonderful plants.
She lives a county away so i don't get there much.

I am sorry to say she has given me one last year and somehow lost it. Not to say I can't find the pot it was in , just the plant no longer grows in it!

Eby is going there again today. She has been cleaning for Violet.
Violet was in the hospital for a few months and went under about 13 surgeries on one of her legs. Just a month later we go there and she is up and around with no walker or cane. One tough lady!

I am also getting a White Plumeria, and a variegated Schefflera , She adores me!

Joe

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh those are gorgeous Ron, I really love the color and how it lightens as it opens. I hope that is it Joe... then when you get it set I will be bugging you for cuttings of it! LOL

Latest posts