Rose I can't divide

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My mother has a rose (lovely thing, don't know the name) that grows in the crack between the driveway and the granite steps to her side door. There is no way to get a shovel, or even a thin trowel, in there. I really want a piece of this rose, but I've never had good success with cuttings - any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You could try air layering. Let the rose root itself for you. :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Is there anyway to lay a green branch on dirt, cut it up a bit and cover it with soil to force it to grow new roots before you remove it from the plant?! I learned how to do this with Jasmine, and I think it may be a great approach if you really can't get in there to dig it up!

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No, there isn't at all. I may be able to do it with a pot of soil, though. I'll take a photo of the spot and rose when I go over there next - it's very tight! Good thought, though, to layer it! Why didn't I think of that??!?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would not have thought of it other then I accidently did it with a hydrenga last year and then read it was a way to propagate lots of plants (mostly vines). Sometimes accidents are the greatest lessons!

I really hope it works for you. :D

Latest posts